Log data being lost

  • Stanley Stramel
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2002
      We are new to WEBALIZER and have version 2.01-10 and have just installed it on our servers.  We cannot seem to get the referer, search engine and querystring areas in the reports to display.

      Our log files on our W2K Servers running IIS 5 are in the W3C format.  We are converting the W3C format to the NCSA format using CONVLOG so that WEBALIZER can execute against it.  However, the file created by the CONVLOG process seems to truncate some of the data (the referer, search engine and querystring).  The HTML created by WEBALIZER has all the other information but the referer, search engine and querystring.  If you view the W3C log files, they do contain this information.  We have checked the Microsoft site for CONVLOG problems such as this but found none.

      I have attached one of our original log files (ex020930.log) and the converted log file (ex020930.log.ncsa) that we run WEBALIZER against.  Also, attached is a copy of one of our .conf files and the Syncronize.bat file that executes the process.

      Before we execute WEBALIZER, we process the log file with CONVLOG using the following command:
      convlog -ie %logdir%\%convert% -o %logdir%

      where %logdir% is the directory and %convert% is the log file (ex020930.log)

      The questions I have are:
      • Does WEBALIZER require the NCSA format for it to work or can it run against the W3C format?
      • Has anyone run into this type of issue?
      • Do you know of a way to correct this truncation?
      • Is there another way that would solve our problem?
      I want to thank you, in advance, for any assistance you may have to offer!

      Stan
      Isn't a great life worth remembering?
      www.TimeHonoredTributes.com

    • Waitman C. Gobble, II
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2002
        On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 06:27, Stanley Stramel wrote:
        > We are new to WEBALIZER and have version 2.01-10 and have just
        > installed it on our servers. We cannot seem to get the referer,
        > search engine and querystring areas in the reports to display.
        >
        > Our log files on our W2K Servers running IIS 5 are in the W3C
        > format. We are converting the W3C format to the NCSA format using
        > CONVLOG so that WEBALIZER can execute against it. However, the file
        > created by the CONVLOG process seems to truncate some of the data (the
        > referer, search engine and querystring). The HTML created by
        > WEBALIZER has all the other information but the referer, search engine
        > and querystring. If you view the W3C log files, they do contain this
        > information. We have checked the Microsoft site for CONVLOG problems
        > such as this but found none.

        Hello

        you don't need to use CONVLOG with modern versions of webalizer for NT,
        it will read the W3C format.

        I do however recall that CONVLOG drops that information you are looking
        for.

        on my w2k/iis5 server i simply do

        d:\logs\webalizer.exe -c d:\logs\W3SVC1.conf

        the logs are stored in W3C, with the necessaries turned on in "extended
        properties". I don't need to convert to NCSA.

        If there is some reason you want to convert to ncsa from w3c, don't use
        CONVLOG. There are some other utilities around, probably on the
        webalizer nt site ???.

        I know I wrote one back in the old days when webalizer/nt wouldn't deal
        with the W3C files, you can find it at http://wcg2.com

        Take care,

        --
        Waitman Gobble EMK Design Buena Park, California
        http://emkdesign.com +1.7145222528 waitman@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 13, 2002
          This is good news! We really don't want to convert the log files if
          possible. We just did it because the instructions that came with
          WEBALIZER v2.01-10 said to. I will look for a newer version of
          WEBALIZER.
          Thanks
          Stan

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 13, 2002
            On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 06:59, Stanley Stramel wrote:
            > This is good news! We really don't want to convert the log files if
            > possible. We just did it because the instructions that came with
            > WEBALIZER v2.01-10 said to. I will look for a newer version of
            > WEBALIZER.
            > Thanks
            > Stan

            Stan

            If you go to http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

            the home page talks about W3C support.

            Take care,

            --
            Waitman C. Gobble, II <waitman@...>
            EMK Design
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2002
              I have downloaded the version of WEBALIZER from
              http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/. When I run it against my W3C
              log file I get:

              Warning: truncating oversized username
              Skipping Bad Record

              The fields specified in the log are:
              date time c-ip cs-username s-ip s-port cs-method cs-uri-stem
              cs-uri-query sc-status sc-bytes cs-bytes cs(user-agent) cs(referer)

              In looking at each record in the log, the cs-username field contains
              only a dash (-). There is an IP address before the dash that should be
              the c-ip and one after that should be the s-ip. Any ideas??

              Stan