Re: [webalizer] Good Script for unresolved rotating logs?

  • Waitman C. Gobble, II
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2002
      On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 08:46, jeepdriver wrote:
      > Does anyone have a descent script to handle unresolved logs rotated by
      > Apache's rotatelog?

      I usually do this:

      Create a logrotate configuration script, and save it as something like
      /www/web/_logrotate/site.conf...

      "/var/logs/www/site-access_log" /var/logs/www/site-error_log {daily
      olddir /var/logs/archive
      rotate 30
      compress
      sharedscripts
      postrotate
      /usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd
      endscript
      }

      Next I create a shell script that is run from cron, that resolves the
      logs, rotates them and runs webalzer:

      usr/local/httpd/bin/logresolve -s /var/logs/apache/httpd-resolver-stats
      < /var/logs/www/site-access_log >
      /var/logs/www/resolved/site-access_log
      /usr/sbin/logrotate -f /www/web/_logrotate/site.conf
      /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /www/web/_webalizer/site.conf

      I do this with a couple hundred sites on different servers, many sites
      have massive log files. It seems to run without trouble.

      Also, you probably want to do it on a _daily_ ( _nightly_ ?) basis, not
      weekly.

      Best,

      --
      Waitman Gobble EMK Design Buena Park, California
      http://emkdesign.com +1.7145222528 waitman@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2002
        I agree that's a good idea, except that I'm not in control of the
        webserver I'm generating stats for. Logs are rsync'd to my system.
        The guy that runs the webserver pipes the log entries to Apache's
        rotatelog program, so I'm kinda stuck with that. I've tweaked my
        script to use an intermediate file for the resolved log, and webalizer
        seems to like that better than a |'d file.

        Thanks.