RE: [webalizer] New Bie

  • Bill Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
      Stupid question:  Why would your hosting provider install webalizer to a place it could not be viewed?

      Are you sure the webalizer html files are not under /public_html ?

      Bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
        Might be for sceurity reasons. So public is not allowed to view the page statistics.
        When I copy to public_html files it copies but  it is not updating with current statistics.

        Kans

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
          Saturday November 16 2002 13:10, Kannaiyan Natesan wrote to All:

          KN> My hosting provider gives the webalizer installed in the tmp
          KN> directory.

          KN> home
          KN> |-----> /public_html/
          KN> |-----> /tmp/webalizer

          Move to another provider! /tmp is not meant for installations.

          KS

          KARICO Business Services
          Toronto, ON Canada
          http://www.karico.ca

          Web Hosting - Design - Server Co-location
        • Greg Fenton
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
            Can you edit the webalizer.conf file? If so, set its OutputDir
            setting to /home/public_html/usage/ (or something similar).

            If you can't edit webalizer.conf, then maybe you can create a link from
            /home/public_html/usage (or whatever) to where the usage files are
            being created?

            greg_fenton.

            =====
            Greg Fenton
            greg_fenton@...

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com
          • Kannaiyan Natesan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2002
              Hi Greg,

              Thanks for your suggestion.
              I created the link, but the browser says access is forbidden.
              But the rights were alright for the link and the directory.

              Any other way plz or I missed anything here.

              Kans

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2002
                You didn't say whether you have the ability to change the
                webalizer.conf file. That's probably the best solution.

                You are getting a Forbidden probably because the webserver is not
                configured to follow symlinks. You could create your own directory:
                public_html/usage/

                and make hard-links (not symlinks) for each of the usage files.
                The problem there is that whenver a new file is created by webalizer
                (e.g. start of a new month), you'll have to create new hard-links to
                those new files.

                Still, the best answer is to find out if you can edit the
                webalizer.conf
                file.

                greg_fenton.

                =====