New Bie

  • Kannaiyan Natesan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002

      My hosting provider gives the webalizer installed in the tmp directory.

      home
      |-----> /public_html/
      |-----> /tmp/webalizer

      I want to install webalizer so that I should be able to view the web
      page statistics in my webarea.
      I tried copying the whole stuff from /tmp/webalizer to /public_html/ to
      view in my web area but it is not working. Any idea how can I copy and make
      it get worked.

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      Kannaiyan
    • Bill Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
        Stupid question:  Why would your hosting provider install webalizer to a place it could not be viewed?

        Are you sure the webalizer html files are not under /public_html ?

        Bill

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
          Might be for sceurity reasons. So public is not allowed to view the page statistics.
          When I copy to public_html files it copies but  it is not updating with current statistics.

          Kans

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
            Saturday November 16 2002 13:10, Kannaiyan Natesan wrote to All:

            KN> My hosting provider gives the webalizer installed in the tmp
            KN> directory.

            KN> home
            KN> |-----> /public_html/
            KN> |-----> /tmp/webalizer

            Move to another provider! /tmp is not meant for installations.

            KS

            KARICO Business Services
            Toronto, ON Canada
            http://www.karico.ca

            Web Hosting - Design - Server Co-location
          • Greg Fenton
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2002
              Can you edit the webalizer.conf file? If so, set its OutputDir
              setting to /home/public_html/usage/ (or something similar).

              If you can't edit webalizer.conf, then maybe you can create a link from
              /home/public_html/usage (or whatever) to where the usage files are
              being created?

              greg_fenton.

              =====
              Greg Fenton
              greg_fenton@...

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com
            • Kannaiyan Natesan
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2002
                Hi Greg,

                Thanks for your suggestion.
                I created the link, but the browser says access is forbidden.
                But the rights were alright for the link and the directory.

                Any other way plz or I missed anything here.

                Kans

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2002
                  You didn't say whether you have the ability to change the
                  webalizer.conf file. That's probably the best solution.

                  You are getting a Forbidden probably because the webserver is not
                  configured to follow symlinks. You could create your own directory:
                  public_html/usage/

                  and make hard-links (not symlinks) for each of the usage files.
                  The problem there is that whenver a new file is created by webalizer
                  (e.g. start of a new month), you'll have to create new hard-links to
                  those new files.

                  Still, the best answer is to find out if you can edit the
                  webalizer.conf
                  file.

                  greg_fenton.

                  =====