problem with grouping agents (browsers)

  • jmezzza
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
      Can anyone tell me the proper syntax to group MSIE 6.0, MSIE 5.5 etc
      for user agents?
      I tried:

      GroupAgent MSIE 6.0
      GroupAgent MSIE6.0
      GroupAgent "MSIE 6.0"
      GroupAgent 'MSIE 6.0'

      Each attempt ignores the space following MSIE and groups anything
      starting with MSIE (ignoring the version).

      Can this be done???

      Thanks in advance,

      Jason Gomez
    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
        jmezzza wrote on 07-11-2002:

        > Can anyone tell me the proper syntax to group MSIE 6.0, MSIE 5.5 etc
        > for user agents?
        > I tried:
        >
        > GroupAgent MSIE 6.0
        > GroupAgent MSIE6.0
        > GroupAgent "MSIE 6.0"
        > GroupAgent 'MSIE 6.0'
        >
        > Each attempt ignores the space following MSIE and groups anything
        > starting with MSIE (ignoring the version).

        GroupAgent +MSIE+6* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
        GroupAgent +MSIE+5* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
        GroupAgent +MSIE+4* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
        GroupAgent +MSIE+3* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x

        Make sure you put them in front of the Netscape/Mozilla entries.
        If you check your logfiles properly, you can find the ID-strings
        for a variety of browsers.
        Wirehub! part of easynet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
        http://www.wirehub.net/ kees.de.keizer@...
        Just what time of night do you call this ? [Song&Dance]
      • Jason Gomez
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
          Kees de Keizer:

          I tried placed your suggestion before Netscape and Mozilla, however, the
          outcome has not changed. This is part of my config file.

          GroupAgent +MSIE+6* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
          GroupAgent +MSIE+5* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
          GroupAgent +MSIE+4* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
          GroupAgent +MSIE+3* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x
          GroupAgent Mozilla/5.0 Mozilla 1.0
          GroupAgent Mozilla/4.7 Netscape Navigator 4.7
          GroupAgent Mozilla/4.5 Netscape Navigator 4.5
          GroupAgent Mozilla/4.0 Netscape Navigator 4.0
          GroupAgent Netscape6/6* Netscape Navigator 6.0
          GroupAgent Netscape/7* Netscape Navigator 7.0

          Any other suggestions ???

          Thanks for replying,

          Jason
        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2002
            Jason Gomez wrote on 07-11-2002:

            > Kees de Keizer:
            >
            > I tried placed your suggestion before Netscape and Mozilla, however, the
            > outcome has not changed. This is part of my config file.
            >
            > GroupAgent +MSIE+6* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
            > GroupAgent +MSIE+5* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
            > GroupAgent +MSIE+4* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
            > GroupAgent +MSIE+3* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x
            > GroupAgent Mozilla/5.0 Mozilla 1.0
            > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.7 Netscape Navigator 4.7
            > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.5 Netscape Navigator 4.5
            > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.0 Netscape Navigator 4.0
            > GroupAgent Netscape6/6* Netscape Navigator 6.0
            > GroupAgent Netscape/7* Netscape Navigator 7.0
            > Any other suggestions ???

            The Netscape/Mozilla sequence is not in the right order.

            I can only drop you a few of my lines of agents:

            GroupAgent Opera/6 Opera 6.x
            GroupAgent Opera/5 Opera 5.x
            GroupAgent Opera/4 Opera 4.x
            GroupAgent Opera/3 Opera 3.x
            GroupAgent +MSIE+6* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
            GroupAgent +MSIE+5* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
            GroupAgent +MSIE+4* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
            GroupAgent +MSIE+3* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x
            GroupAgent +Netscape/7 Netscape Navigator 7.x
            GroupAgent +Netscape6/ Netscape Navigator 6.x
            GroupAgent Mozilla/5 Mozilla/Gecko
            GroupAgent Mozilla/4 Netscape Navigator 4.x
            GroupAgent Mozilla/3 Netscape Navigator 3.x
            GroupAgent Googlebot GoogleBot
            GroupAgent MSProxy Microsoft Proxy
            GroupAgent Proxy Other Proxy software
            GroupAgent Lynx Lynx
            GroupAgent * Other
            HideAgent *

            Did you remove the webalizer.current and regenerate the stats?
            Wirehub! part of easynet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            http://www.wirehub.net/ kees.de.keizer@...
            Do you plan to put up a fight ? [JC Superstar]
          • Kees de Keizer
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2002
              Jason Gomez wrote on 08-11-2002:

              > I am not using the incremental mode for webalizer, so I
              > do not have a webalizer.current.

              That can't be the problem then.

              > I changed the order of the config file:
              > GroupAgent +MSIE+6* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
              > GroupAgent +MSIE+5* Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x
              > GroupAgent +MSIE+4* Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x
              > GroupAgent +MSIE+3* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.x
              > GroupAgent +MSIE+2* Microsoft Internet Explorer 2.x
              > GroupAgent +Netscape/7 Netscape Navigator 7.0
              > GroupAgent +Netscape6/ Netscape Navigator 6.0
              > GroupAgent Mozilla/5.0 Mozilla 1.0
              > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.7 Netscape Navigator 4.7
              > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.5 Netscape Navigator 4.5
              > GroupAgent Mozilla/4.0 Netscape Navigator 4.0
              >
              > MSIE is not being grouped and I do not get anything for
              > Netscape/7 and Netscape6/.

              This has to to with the way webalizer has been compiled. The
              default length for the agent string is not long enough to
              catch the Netscape version for 6.x or higher:

              | From Bradford L. Barrett:
              | GroupAgent +Netscape6/ Netscape Navigator 6.x
              | Unless you modified the MAXAGENT value in webalizer.h, most
              | netscape 6 (and possibly other user agents) won't be caught
              | with the above.. the newer mozilla browsers have such large
              | user agent strings, they get truncated and the real id string
              | ("Netscape6") gets lost..

              > This is a sample of the log:
              > 205.188.209.140 - - [02/Oct/2002:13:33:58 -0400] "GET /fcla/cr/uwfsearch
              > HTTP/1.0" 302 296 "http://library.uwf.edu/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
              > MSIE 5.0; AOL 7.0; Windows 95; DigExt)"
              > Any other ideas why MSIE is not being grouped?

              A difference between IIS and Apache:

              Apache...: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)
              IIS......: Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98)

              Maybe, but I'm not certain, quotes can help: "MSIE 6.*"
              Wirehub! part of easynet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
              http://www.wirehub.net/ kees.de.keizer@...
              I could show you my favourite obsession [Rocky Horror Show]