Re: [webalizer] DNS cache size

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2002
      On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Andrew wrote:

      > You should ask your hosting provider to use the one cache file for all
      > hosts - it makes a lot of sense for them as well - and in a way they are
      > being tight for charging you for it (they charge you for the webspace,
      > the logs, and then again to analyize the logs??).

      Thanks for the reply.

      The problem with this provider is that they are very resistant to changing
      things on the servers based on customer demand (even when it comes to
      broken installations that I bring to their attention). It's proven less
      of a hassle so far to work around the problems than to get them to fix
      things or even to look around for alternate (more cooperative) hosting.
      That's why I'm wondering if it would work to periodically delete the cache
      file or even empty it (I can probably write a perl script for that, if the
      space for deleted entries is reclaimed by GDBM). I can't compile any C
      software on their servers, since I don't have shell access, but I can use
      any of the available scripting languages they have (bash, Perl or PHP) or
      any C programs that are already installed (like wget, which was a
      lifesaver with one problem I had to get around :-).

      At least they don't take the space for the logs out of my quota (a couple
      megs per month at the moment)... just the log analysis files. Even the
      database disk usage is counted separately.

      Brian Smith // avalon73 at arthurian dot nu // http://www.arthurian.nu/
      Software Developer // Gamer // Webmaster // System Administrator
      "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree
      with them." -- George H. W. Bush