Re: [webalizer] What is the difference between Extreme Tracking & Webalizer...I have both..

  • PeterBX
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      William,

      Webalizer is basically controlled by it's conf file. I'm not sure what Extreme hits is doing but webalizer tracks the IP address the visitor came from and keeps it on file as it were, for a specified amount of time so that if that person returns it is not recorded as a unique visitor again. I believe the default is 15 minutes but it can be adjusted via conf file to be whatever you or they want in this case.

      I am not sure what to tell you as far as the discrepancy in the two goes, but many stats places deal with raw hits without sorting out how many actual unique visits you are getting. This may explain the difference you are seeing. Hits and Visits are two separate things.

      Many hit trackers programs do not differentiate either between image files, script files, html files, etc, and count each file accessed as a hit.

      These are just a few ideas of mine but if anyone else has any direct insight into this Extreme Hits program, feel free to speak up....lol

      Hope this helps,

      CorbinB2

      I use Extreme Tracking, the free tracker on 5 pages of my site, www.mahlers.com.  On average I am getting visited 4 to 5 times per day according to Extreme Tracking.  On the other hand, via my webhost, Hostsave.com, Webalizer has reported 50 to 110 hits per day with a total of nearly 32000 hits since the first week of July 2002.  I ask you, why such a tremendous difference?  What does Webalizer do regarding hits that Extreme Tracking doesn't?

      Thanks,

      William K. Mahler

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
        > I use Extreme Tracking, the free tracker on 5 pages of my site,
        > www.mahlers.com. On average I am getting visited 4 to 5 times per day
        > according to Extreme Tracking. On the other hand, via my webhost,
        > Hostsave.com, Webalizer has reported 50 to 110 hits per day with a total
        > of nearly 32000 hits since the first week of July 2002. I ask you, why
        > such a tremendous difference? What does Webalizer do regarding hits
        > that Extreme Tracking doesn't?

        Remote 'counters' are not accurate and can easily be circumvented. The
        only accurate method to determine web server usage is by using the log
        file it generates.

      • John Elvin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          If you have links on the counted pages which someone clicks before Extreme
          Tracking counts their visit, then I suspect this could be a cause of the
          discrepancy. I also use both and my Webalizer visits are consistently higher
          than Extreme Tracking.

          John

          I use Extreme Tracking, the free tracker on 5 pages of my site,
          www.mahlers.com. On average I am getting visited 4 to 5 times per day
          according to Extreme Tracking. On the other hand, via my webhost,
          Hostsave.com, Webalizer has reported 50 to 110 hits per day with a total of
          nearly 32000 hits since the first week of July 2002. I ask you, why such a
          tremendous difference? What does Webalizer do regarding hits that Extreme
          Tracking doesn't?

          Thanks,

          William K. Mahler

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor