RE: [webalizer] What is the difference between Extreme Tracking & Webalizer...I have both..

  • Tom Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      Message
      you need to look at "visits" - hits are file requests in webalizer

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          William,

          Webalizer is basically controlled by it's conf file. I'm not sure what Extreme hits is doing but webalizer tracks the IP address the visitor came from and keeps it on file as it were, for a specified amount of time so that if that person returns it is not recorded as a unique visitor again. I believe the default is 15 minutes but it can be adjusted via conf file to be whatever you or they want in this case.

          I am not sure what to tell you as far as the discrepancy in the two goes, but many stats places deal with raw hits without sorting out how many actual unique visits you are getting. This may explain the difference you are seeing. Hits and Visits are two separate things.

          Many hit trackers programs do not differentiate either between image files, script files, html files, etc, and count each file accessed as a hit.

          These are just a few ideas of mine but if anyone else has any direct insight into this Extreme Hits program, feel free to speak up....lol

          Hope this helps,

          CorbinB2

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
            > I use Extreme Tracking, the free tracker on 5 pages of my site,
            > www.mahlers.com. On average I am getting visited 4 to 5 times per day
            > according to Extreme Tracking. On the other hand, via my webhost,
            > Hostsave.com, Webalizer has reported 50 to 110 hits per day with a total
            > of nearly 32000 hits since the first week of July 2002. I ask you, why
            > such a tremendous difference? What does Webalizer do regarding hits
            > that Extreme Tracking doesn't?

            Remote 'counters' are not accurate and can easily be circumvented. The
            only accurate method to determine web server usage is by using the log
            file it generates.

          • John Elvin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
              If you have links on the counted pages which someone clicks before Extreme
              Tracking counts their visit, then I suspect this could be a cause of the
              discrepancy. I also use both and my Webalizer visits are consistently higher
              than Extreme Tracking.

              John

              I use Extreme Tracking, the free tracker on 5 pages of my site,
              www.mahlers.com. On average I am getting visited 4 to 5 times per day
              according to Extreme Tracking. On the other hand, via my webhost,
              Hostsave.com, Webalizer has reported 50 to 110 hits per day with a total of
              nearly 32000 hits since the first week of July 2002. I ask you, why such a
              tremendous difference? What does Webalizer do regarding hits that Extreme
              Tracking doesn't?

              Thanks,

              William K. Mahler

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor