Clients and visits

  • Oriol Garcia
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      Dear list-members

      I installed webalizer with default configuration on one server..... the
      problem is that the visits are fewer than the clients.Please can you tell
      me if someone had the same problem? and if anyone has the answer please
      tell me :)

      Thank U a lot

      Regards
    • Stephen Moretti
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002

        > I installed webalizer with default configuration on one server..... the
        > problem is that the visits are fewer than the clients.Please can you tell
        > me if someone had the same problem? and if anyone has the answer please
        > tell me :)

        Clients? What do you mean by clients?

        Visits _should_ be the number of unique IP addresses accessing your site
        which have spent a period of time on your server with a 20 minute (?) idle
        period.

        Hmmm... Ok now again in english....
        A user with the ip address 10.1.1.10 visits your web site. They spend 10
        minutes wandering around your site and become idle. When they have been
        idle for 20 minutes (I think this is the default in webalizer), that ends
        their visit.

        If that same user accesses your site after they have been idle for 20
        minutes, then that consitutes a new visit.

        Make sense? Basically your visits should be pretty high....

        Now then, I say _should_ because I don't think the visit counter code is
        working correctly in webalizer.... I honestly don't believe that an average
        6 visits will access an average 1260 page between them. That's like 210
        pages each! Now I know there is a load of information on this particular
        site, but I don't really believe that the visitors will access that much
        information!

        I would believe an average of 20 pages per visit and 60 visitors giving an
        average 1200 pages....

        Just my 2p

        Regards

        Stephen
      • Oriol Garcia
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2002
          Hi

          We change webalizer 1.36 to 2.01 all with no webalizer.conf ( default conf
          ).We noticed that in webalizer 1.36 clients are less than visits.... now in
          webalizer 2.01 visits are less than clients anyone have an idea why this
          happens?

          Regards