Re: [webalizer] conf file location ? really don 't find it... AAHhhhhhhh !!!!!

  • Stephen Moretti
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 25, 2002
      Message
      By default webalizer runs off of a log file that is reset on a daily basis.  This log file lives in /etc/httpd/logs

      As far as the current directory and the conf file is concerned, there is none with the standard install of webalizer.  The configuration is all set up via the perl file in cron.daily.  This perl file works its way through all the directories in the /home/sites/ folder.  It dynamically generates a command line call to webalizer, that will generate a basic report into the default location of /home/sites/sitex/web/stats using the log file I mention above.

      If you run webalizer manually at the command line, then what ever directory you are currently in is the "current directory" eg. if you are in /home/sites/logs then that is the current directory and webalizer will look there for webalizer.conf.  If there is no conf file then webalizer attempts to run from the command line parameters given.

      If you want a different conf file for each virtual domain then you will have to alter the webalizer.pl file in /etc/cron.daily to pick up a config file...

      $messages .=
             `/usr/local/bin/webalizer -p -n $asite -s $asite -r $asite -q -Q -T -o $thepath -c $prefix/$asite/logs/webalizer.conf /etc/httpd/logs/complete_access_log`;
      This is the line that I use in our webalizer.pl  : $asite is a variable which contains the current site folder eg. site1
      I've also got a complete log file that I use instead of the default daily file.  You shouldn't need to change that.
      The -c command line attribute is the one that specifies the config file to use.  In my command line above it will look in the logs folder for the site that its currently looking at. eg. $asite is 'site1' $prefix is '/home/sites', so webalizer looks in /home/sites/site1/logs/ for webalizer.conf.

      And hey presto webalizer is now using a different conf file for each site. ;o)

      Word of warning....  I don't know why, but downloading the perl file, changing it on a windows machine and then uploading it back to the RAQ seems to make it invisible to crontab! Make sure you make a back up and only change the file using an editor on your server. eg. VI (if you're feeling brave)

      Hope that helps

      Regards

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 25, 2002
        Message
        thanks - great info, I'll give it a go!

        thanks - but what is the "current" directory?
        the logs directory or the directory where webalizer is?
        Once executed, the general flow of the program
        follows:

        o A default configuration file is scanned for.
          A file named 'webalizer.conf' is searched for in the
          current directory, and if found, it's configuration
          data is parsed. If the file is not present in the
          current directory, the file '/etc/webalizer.conf'
          is searched for and, if found, is used instead.

        ----------

        I hope this helps..

        -k

        --- Tom Phillips <tom@...> wrote:
        > where would the conf file go then if I wanted a
        > different conf file for
        > each virtual domain?

      • Stephen Moretti
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2002
          Message

          >> Word of warning....  I don't know why, but downloading the perl file, changing it on a windows machine and then uploading it back to the RAQ seems to make it invisible to crontab! Make sure you make a back up and only change the file using an editor on your server. eg. VI (if you're feeling brave)

          Have you tried uploading it in ascii instead of binary?

          I've had some scripts barf if I upload them in binary, ascii is the trick.

          Aye.... tried every which way I could think of, to no avail!

          Thanks for the thought though..

          Stephen