Re: [webalizer] Holes in stats

  • Lillith Lesanges
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
      On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
      >> The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
      >> /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
      >> section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
      >> rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.
      >
      > Bad solution.. the Webalizer should _never_ be run against a live log
      > when using incremental mode. Doing so can cause data loss.

      /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log is not a live log.

      apache's /var/log/httpd/access.log is the live log. the 'daily' cron runs
      logrotate and, only once a day, updates the
      /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log file. The rest of the time, the web.log
      file is -not- live.

      I do -not- suggest running webalizer against the access.log directly.
      Beyond the badness of running on a live log, it includes all the accesses
      for -all- the sites.

      That's why I suggested adding a prerotate section in the /etc/logrotate.d/
      siteXX files and -not- in the /etc/logrotate.d/apache file.

      (FWIW, I've a raq4, not a raq3, but it should be close enough.)

      Lillith K. Lesanges
      Sysadmin/Programmer, MIS, Inc.