Re: [webalizer] Holes in stats

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
      > The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
      > /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
      > section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
      > rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.

      Bad solution.. the Webalizer should _never_ be run against a live log when
      using incremental mode. Doing so can cause data loss.

    • Lillith Lesanges
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
        On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
        >> The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
        >> /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
        >> section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
        >> rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.
        >
        > Bad solution.. the Webalizer should _never_ be run against a live log
        > when using incremental mode. Doing so can cause data loss.

        /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log is not a live log.

        apache's /var/log/httpd/access.log is the live log. the 'daily' cron runs
        logrotate and, only once a day, updates the
        /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log file. The rest of the time, the web.log
        file is -not- live.

        I do -not- suggest running webalizer against the access.log directly.
        Beyond the badness of running on a live log, it includes all the accesses
        for -all- the sites.

        That's why I suggested adding a prerotate section in the /etc/logrotate.d/
        siteXX files and -not- in the /etc/logrotate.d/apache file.

        (FWIW, I've a raq4, not a raq3, but it should be close enough.)

        Lillith K. Lesanges
        Sysadmin/Programmer, MIS, Inc.