Re: [webalizer] Holes in stats

  • Lillith Lesanges
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
      On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 04:13 AM, JA wrote:
      > Since we installed webalizer on our cobalt raq3 we have noticed that
      > webalizer is showing erratic behaviour which shows itself in
      > days where the stats are quite clearly wrong. For example the stats were
      > regulary around the 1000 visits per day mark but on the
      > 10/19/28th day the visits would drop to 90?

      Blame Cobalt. :)

      What happens is this: Every night, logrotate splits out the main
      apache.log file into the siteXX/logs/web.log files. This is what your
      webalizer is running against.

      The catch is that, after your siteXX/logs/web.log file gets too big,
      logrotate hits -it- too. Before webalizer can run again.

      So you've got:

      logrotate(apache.log); webalizer; logrotate(apache.log); webalizer....
      until web.log gets big and then you have:

      logrotate(apache.log); logrotate(web.log); webalizer;

      So, about a day's worth of stuff gets lost.

      The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
      /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
      section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
      rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.

      As far as I know, you'll have to do this manual change for every site when
      you add it, and I won't guarantee that changes in the GUI won't mess it up.

      Lillith K. Lesanges
      Sysadmin/Programmer, MIS, Inc.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
        > The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
        > /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
        > section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
        > rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.

        Bad solution.. the Webalizer should _never_ be run against a live log when
        using incremental mode. Doing so can cause data loss.

      • Lillith Lesanges
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2002
          On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
          >> The only solution I've come up with is a PITA to implement. for every
          >> /etc/logrotate.d/siteXX file, in the web.log section, add a prerotate
          >> section that runs webalizer. This tells logrotate that, before it can
          >> rotate a web.log file, it needs to run webalizer on it.
          >
          > Bad solution.. the Webalizer should _never_ be run against a live log
          > when using incremental mode. Doing so can cause data loss.

          /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log is not a live log.

          apache's /var/log/httpd/access.log is the live log. the 'daily' cron runs
          logrotate and, only once a day, updates the
          /home/sites/siteXX/logs/web.log file. The rest of the time, the web.log
          file is -not- live.

          I do -not- suggest running webalizer against the access.log directly.
          Beyond the badness of running on a live log, it includes all the accesses
          for -all- the sites.

          That's why I suggested adding a prerotate section in the /etc/logrotate.d/
          siteXX files and -not- in the /etc/logrotate.d/apache file.

          (FWIW, I've a raq4, not a raq3, but it should be close enough.)