Re: Parsing W3C Log Files

  • foamspoon2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002
      I am using the current version from http://www.medasys-
      lille.com/webalizer/ ,
      too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
      version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

      Warning: Truncating oversized username
      Skipping bad record (469)
      !!

      I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

      Can anyone help.

      The header in the looks like

      #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
      #Version: 1.0
      #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
      #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
      method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
      bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

      Greetinx Foamspoon

      --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
      > which version of webalizer are you using?
      > did you download from webalizer.org?
      >
      > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
      > to IIS.
      >
      > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
      > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org version.
      >
      > Tunahan
      >
      > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
      >

      > > To: "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
      > >
      > > From: "Andrew" <tak@i...>
      > > Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
      > > Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
      > >

      > > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
      receive

      > > Warning: Truncating oversized username
      > >
      > > Skipping bad record <number>
      > >
      > > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
      username, but
      > > when open the log files, all the different information is
      recorded (date,

      > > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
      So what
      > > could the error message be referring to?
      > >

      > > Andrew
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > > Image

      Service.
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002

        I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to successfully parse W3C log files.  I tried what you did, and got the same message.  If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA format.

        too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
        version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

        Warning: Truncating oversized username
        Skipping bad record (469)
        !!

        I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

        Can anyone help.

        The header in the looks like

        #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
        #Version: 1.0
        #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
        #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
        method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
        bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

        Greetinx Foamspoon

        --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
        > which version of webalizer are you using?
        > did you download from webalizer.org?
        >
        > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
        > to IIS.
        >
        > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
        > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org  version.
        >
        > Tunahan
        >
        > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
        >

        > >  To:     "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
        > >
        > >  From:   "Andrew" <tak@i...>
        > >  Date:   Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
        > >  Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
        > >

        > >  When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
        receive

        > >  Warning: Truncating oversized username
        > >
        > >  Skipping bad record <number>
        > >
        > >  I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
        username, but
        > >  when open the log files, all the different information is
        recorded (date,

        > >  time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
        So what
        > >  could the error message be referring to?
        > >

        > >  Andrew
        > >
        > >     Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >             Image
        > >

        > >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > >  Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
        > >  Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
        > >

        > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

      • Kees de Keizer
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
          Andrew wrote on 13-08-2002:

          > I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to
          > successfully parse W3C log files. I tried what you did, and got the same
          > message. If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of
          > the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA
          > format.

          Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
          http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ and the setting for
          Logtype set to iis. The W3C files should at least contain the
          following fields:

          "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem", "sc-status",
          "sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)")
          Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
          One moment in his presence and you can forget the rest [Chorus Line]
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
            > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

            Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
            site for the official version..

          • Rufo Casquino
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
              Yes, I just implemented in my Linux box, find it using google webalizer+w3c
              http://archive.mgm51.com/mirrors/webalizer-files/contrib/webalizer-w3c.diff.
              txt

              Regards.
              Rufo
              > > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
              > > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
              >
              > Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
              > site for the official version..
              >
              > --
              > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

            • foamspoon2002
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002
                I finally gave up extended W3C - Logging and turned it to common NCSA.
                This works fine !!!

              • foamspoon2002
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002