Re: [webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files

  • tunahanunal@hotpop.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
      which version of webalizer are you using?
      did you download from webalizer.org?

      i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
      to IIS.

      i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
      I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org version.

      Tunahan

      09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@...> wrote:

      > To: "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@yahoogroups.com>
      >
      > From: "Andrew" <tak@...>
      > Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
      > Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
      >

      > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I receive this message:
      >
      > Warning: Truncating oversized username
      >
      > Skipping bad record <number>
      >
      > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes username, but
      > when open the log files, all the different information is recorded (date,
      >
      > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username. So what
      > could the error message be referring to?
      >

      > Andrew
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > Image

    • foamspoon2002
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002
        I am using the current version from http://www.medasys-
        lille.com/webalizer/ ,
        too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
        version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

        Warning: Truncating oversized username
        Skipping bad record (469)
        !!

        I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

        Can anyone help.

        The header in the looks like

        #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
        #Version: 1.0
        #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
        #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
        method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
        bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

        Greetinx Foamspoon

        --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
        > which version of webalizer are you using?
        > did you download from webalizer.org?
        >
        > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
        > to IIS.
        >
        > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
        > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org version.
        >
        > Tunahan
        >
        > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
        >

        > > To: "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
        > >
        > > From: "Andrew" <tak@i...>
        > > Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
        > > Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
        > >

        > > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
        receive

        > > Warning: Truncating oversized username
        > >
        > > Skipping bad record <number>
        > >
        > > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
        username, but
        > > when open the log files, all the different information is
        recorded (date,

        > > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
        So what
        > > could the error message be referring to?
        > >

        > > Andrew
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > > Image

        Service.
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002

          I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to successfully parse W3C log files.  I tried what you did, and got the same message.  If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA format.

          too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
          version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

          Warning: Truncating oversized username
          Skipping bad record (469)
          !!

          I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

          Can anyone help.

          The header in the looks like

          #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
          #Version: 1.0
          #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
          #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
          method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
          bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

          Greetinx Foamspoon

          --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
          > which version of webalizer are you using?
          > did you download from webalizer.org?
          >
          > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
          > to IIS.
          >
          > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
          > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org  version.
          >
          > Tunahan
          >
          > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
          >

          > >  To:     "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
          > >
          > >  From:   "Andrew" <tak@i...>
          > >  Date:   Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
          > >  Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
          > >

          > >  When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
          receive

          > >  Warning: Truncating oversized username
          > >
          > >  Skipping bad record <number>
          > >
          > >  I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
          username, but
          > >  when open the log files, all the different information is
          recorded (date,

          > >  time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
          So what
          > >  could the error message be referring to?
          > >

          > >  Andrew
          > >
          > >     Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > >             Image
          > >

          > >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > >  Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
          > >  Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
          > >

          > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            Andrew wrote on 13-08-2002:

            > I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to
            > successfully parse W3C log files. I tried what you did, and got the same
            > message. If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of
            > the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA
            > format.

            Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
            http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ and the setting for
            Logtype set to iis. The W3C files should at least contain the
            following fields:

            "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem", "sc-status",
            "sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)")
            Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            One moment in his presence and you can forget the rest [Chorus Line]
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
              > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
              > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

              Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
              site for the official version..

            • Rufo Casquino
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
                Yes, I just implemented in my Linux box, find it using google webalizer+w3c
                http://archive.mgm51.com/mirrors/webalizer-files/contrib/webalizer-w3c.diff.
                txt

                Regards.
                Rufo
                > > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
                > > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                >
                > Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
                > site for the official version..
                >
                > --
                > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

              • foamspoon2002
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002
                  I finally gave up extended W3C - Logging and turned it to common NCSA.
                  This works fine !!!

                • foamspoon2002
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002