Parsing W3C Log Files

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2002

      When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I receive this message:

      Warning: Truncating oversized username

      Skipping bad record <number>

      I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes username, but when open the log files, all the different information is recorded (date, time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.  So what could the error message be referring to?

      Andrew

    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2002
        Andrew wrote on 09-08-2002:

        > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I receive this message:
        >
        > Warning: Truncating oversized username
        > Skipping bad record <number>
        >
        > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes username, but
        > when open the log files, all the different information is recorded (date,
        > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username. So what
        > could the error message be referring to?

        I assume you use the version from http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

        As stated on that site, the following fields should be in your
        logfile:
        1 : read directly IIS4.0 and 5.0 log files ( W3C with at least 8
        option "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem",
        "sc-status","sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)")
        Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
        We want the key to your car [Sunset Blvd]
      • tunahanunal@hotpop.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
          which version of webalizer are you using?
          did you download from webalizer.org?

          i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
          to IIS.

          i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
          I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org version.

          Tunahan

          09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@...> wrote:

          > To: "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@yahoogroups.com>
          >
          > From: "Andrew" <tak@...>
          > Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
          > Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
          >

          > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I receive this message:
          >
          > Warning: Truncating oversized username
          >
          > Skipping bad record <number>
          >
          > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes username, but
          > when open the log files, all the different information is recorded (date,
          >
          > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username. So what
          > could the error message be referring to?
          >

          > Andrew
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > Image

        • foamspoon2002
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002
            I am using the current version from http://www.medasys-
            lille.com/webalizer/ ,
            too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
            version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

            Warning: Truncating oversized username
            Skipping bad record (469)
            !!

            I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

            Can anyone help.

            The header in the looks like

            #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
            #Version: 1.0
            #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
            #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
            method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
            bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

            Greetinx Foamspoon

            --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
            > which version of webalizer are you using?
            > did you download from webalizer.org?
            >
            > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
            > to IIS.
            >
            > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
            > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org version.
            >
            > Tunahan
            >
            > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
            >

            > > To: "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
            > >
            > > From: "Andrew" <tak@i...>
            > > Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
            > > Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
            > >

            > > When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
            receive

            > > Warning: Truncating oversized username
            > >
            > > Skipping bad record <number>
            > >
            > > I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
            username, but
            > > when open the log files, all the different information is
            recorded (date,

            > > time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
            So what
            > > could the error message be referring to?
            > >

            > > Andrew
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > > Image

            Service.
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002

              I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to successfully parse W3C log files.  I tried what you did, and got the same message.  If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA format.

              too. The default setting in the webalizer.conf is IIS in this
              version. It worked for a few days, but since today I get the

              Warning: Truncating oversized username
              Skipping bad record (469)
              !!

              I didn´t change a thing. Maybe it can´t stand the weekend ;-)

              Can anyone help.

              The header in the looks like

              #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
              #Version: 1.0
              #Date: 2002-06-01 00:00:06
              #Fields: date time c-ip cs-username s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-
              method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query sc-status sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-
              bytes time-taken s-port cs-version

              Greetinx Foamspoon

              --- In webalizer@y..., tunahanunal@h... wrote:
              > which version of webalizer are you using?
              > did you download from webalizer.org?
              >
              > i fixed this problem with changing LogType from conf file
              > to IIS.
              >
              > i should note i downloaded it from www.medasys.lille.com
              > I dont have exact idea about the www.webalizer.org  version.
              >
              > Tunahan
              >
              > 09.08.2002 18:09:22, "Andrew" <tak@i...> wrote:
              >

              > >  To:     "Webalizer E-list" <webalizer@y...>
              > >
              > >  From:   "Andrew" <tak@i...>
              > >  Date:   Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:09:22 -0500
              > >  Subject:[webalizer] Parsing W3C Log Files
              > >

              > >  When I run webalizer on an “ex[date].log” file, I
              receive

              > >  Warning: Truncating oversized username
              > >
              > >  Skipping bad record <number>
              > >
              > >  I have the log properties set to IIS default, which includes
              username, but
              > >  when open the log files, all the different information is
              recorded (date,

              > >  time, c-ip, s-computername, s-ip, etc.) except the cs-username.
              So what
              > >  could the error message be referring to?
              > >

              > >  Andrew
              > >
              > >     Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > >             Image
              > >

              > >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > >  Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
              > >  Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
              > >

              > >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.

            • Kees de Keizer
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
                Andrew wrote on 13-08-2002:

                > I never saw anything in readme files about the webalizer being able to
                > successfully parse W3C log files. I tried what you did, and got the same
                > message. If you open the log file being parsed, you’ll find that much of
                > the information is stripped down to the bare information similar to NCSA
                > format.

                Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
                http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ and the setting for
                Logtype set to iis. The W3C files should at least contain the
                following fields:

                "date", "time", "c-ip","cs-username", "cs-uri-stem", "sc-status",
                "sc-bytes", "cs(User-Agent)", "cs(Referer)")
                Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
                One moment in his presence and you can forget the rest [Chorus Line]
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
                  > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
                  > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

                  Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
                  site for the official version..

                • Rufo Casquino
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
                    Yes, I just implemented in my Linux box, find it using google webalizer+w3c
                    http://archive.mgm51.com/mirrors/webalizer-files/contrib/webalizer-w3c.diff.
                    txt

                    Regards.
                    Rufo
                    > > Parsing W3C files can only with the version downloaded from
                    > > http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                    >
                    > Umm, not exactly. There is a w3c patch on the webalizer ftp
                    > site for the official version..
                    >
                    > --
                    > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

                  • foamspoon2002
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002
                      I finally gave up extended W3C - Logging and turned it to common NCSA.
                      This works fine !!!

                    • foamspoon2002
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 19, 2002