Re: [webalizer] Multiple Logs

  • Glen Mehn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
      Baldwin C. Sung wrote:

      >What is the best way to rotate the logs? Here is a
      >overview of my configuration.
      >
      >- 4 Web Servers running Apache (Solaris)
      >- Each Web Server has it's own log
      >- The 4 Web logs are sorted into on log for webalizer
      >
      >The problem:
      >After the webalizer-sorted.log has completed. I
      >cat /dev/null > webserver[1-4]-access.log. However,
      >the apache web server seems to no longer work or write
      >information to the logs.
      >
      >Has anybody been through a similar scenerio?

      This is more appropriate to an apache list, but if you move/remove a
      filehandle that apache is using, it'll hang-- this is documented at
      httpd.apache.org. I believe that apache2 had some builtin transfer
      mechanism, but you might want to look at cronolog-- you can pipe your
      log output to cronolog (httpd://www.cronolog.org) and it'll rotate logs
      at a specified interval, so that you can then use a cat; sort routine on
      the logfiles.

      -g