Multiple Logs

  • Baldwin C. Sung
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
      What is the best way to rotate the logs? Here is a
      overview of my configuration.

      - 4 Web Servers running Apache (Solaris)
      - Each Web Server has it's own log
      - The 4 Web logs are sorted into on log for webalizer

      The problem:
      After the webalizer-sorted.log has completed. I
      cat /dev/null > webserver[1-4]-access.log. However,
      the apache web server seems to no longer work or write
      information to the logs.

      Has anybody been through a similar scenerio?

      Thanks.

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Glen Mehn
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
        Baldwin C. Sung wrote:

        >What is the best way to rotate the logs? Here is a
        >overview of my configuration.
        >
        >- 4 Web Servers running Apache (Solaris)
        >- Each Web Server has it's own log
        >- The 4 Web logs are sorted into on log for webalizer
        >
        >The problem:
        >After the webalizer-sorted.log has completed. I
        >cat /dev/null > webserver[1-4]-access.log. However,
        >the apache web server seems to no longer work or write
        >information to the logs.
        >
        >Has anybody been through a similar scenerio?

        This is more appropriate to an apache list, but if you move/remove a
        filehandle that apache is using, it'll hang-- this is documented at
        httpd.apache.org. I believe that apache2 had some builtin transfer
        mechanism, but you might want to look at cronolog-- you can pipe your
        log output to cronolog (httpd://www.cronolog.org) and it'll rotate logs
        at a specified interval, so that you can then use a cat; sort routine on
        the logfiles.

        -g