Re: [webalizer] Country Listing "Old Style Arpanet"

  • tunahanunal@hotpop.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi again,

      Im playing with options of webalizer which is downloaded from
      http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
      and im running webalizer on IIS5.0 + w2k.
      server's timezone is GMT+2 ..
      i could not arrange correctly -hourly graphics- stage of webalizer results.
      and webalizer shows hourly statistics 2 hours less than real(correct) time?
      i changed GMTTime option to 'yes' and 'no'
      even i checked 'Use local time for file naming and rollover' option of IIS but those didnot help me?

      what do you suggest me?

      Thanks For your interests ...

      Tunahan
    • Guy M. Grimes - UCS-COM
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        OK here is the History Lesson! Arpanet(arpa) was not the 1st network created
        but was the 1st government networking project which it's goal was to create
        a means of communication that 1. would allow computers to share data and
        connect together and 2. a second project was to find a way voice comm. could
        not be interupted like a Nuke going off distroying a whole section of
        telecom infostructure. Before telecommunications was point to point full
        carrier wave. Break the connection at any point along the path and this
        method fails.

        Break through idea! change voice carrier waves to digital data packets to a
        predetermined size with destination information in the header of each
        packet. Digital devices were created to gate or route these packets.
        Routers allowed packets to pass or be routed along one of it's connections
        if the ip address was apart of it's connection. IE these packets could
        reach it's destination through a multitude of network connections even if a
        huge hunk of truck line got severed. This was a national security issue and
        the protocol TCP/IP was redeveloped to allow computers to use the same
        method. Arpa was the origional computer network pre internet that merged to
        one communications backbone for voice, data & video that this new tcp/ip and
        routing system was designed to manage. Arpa merged into the common backbone
        infustructure used today we call the internet. What you are seeing are the
        universities and government sites along that network that still exists
        today.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          I figured as much...in the sense it was some kind of network thing

          Thanks for the history lesson....:0)

          > I have noticed for some time now an entry in my webalizer stats under
          > the countries section of "Old Style Arpanet(arpa)".
          >
          > Does anyone know what country this is or if it's a country at all?
          > I'm thinking it may be a server name getting mixed in with the
          > countries listing somehow, but not really sure.
          >
          > If someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > CorbinB2

        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 tunahanunal@... wrote:

            > Im playing with options of webalizer which is downloaded
            > from http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ and im running
            > webalizer on IIS5.0 + w2k. server's timezone is GMT+2 ..
            > i could not arrange correctly -hourly graphics- stage of
            > webalizer results and webalizer shows hourly statistics
            > 2 hours less than real(correct) time? i changed GMTTime
            > option to 'yes' and 'no' even i checked 'Use local time for
            > file naming and rollover' option of IIS but those didnot
            > help me? what do you suggest me?

            ConvertTime yes

            Note: This option is for marked as 'Test only', but you
            could give it a try.

            If you look at the bottom of the sample.conf, you can see
            several options just for this version.
            Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
          • Lightfoot.Michael
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
              It is one of the TLDs (Top Level Domains). It was originally the _only_
              TLD but now is used almost exclusively by reverse lookups
              (address-to-name lookups) via the in-addr.arpa zone.

              Note that the "names" given to the "countries" in your Webalizer output
              are nothing magic - they are derived from a text file in your
              configuration.

              m.

              Unavoidable crap follows...
              NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
              information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
              disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
              error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
              does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

              Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

              We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

              New street addresses:

              Canberra office
              Level 1
              14 Moore street
              CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

              Melbourne Office
              Level 2
              121 William Street
              MELBOURNE VIC 3001
              Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

              Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.