Country Listing "Old Style Arpanet"

  • corbinb2
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      I have noticed for some time now an entry in my webalizer stats under
      the countries section of "Old Style Arpanet(arpa)".

      Does anyone know what country this is or if it's a country at all?
      I'm thinking it may be a server name getting mixed in with the
      countries listing somehow, but not really sure.

      If someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      CorbinB2
    • tunahanunal@hotpop.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi again,

        Im playing with options of webalizer which is downloaded from
        http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
        and im running webalizer on IIS5.0 + w2k.
        server's timezone is GMT+2 ..
        i could not arrange correctly -hourly graphics- stage of webalizer results.
        and webalizer shows hourly statistics 2 hours less than real(correct) time?
        i changed GMTTime option to 'yes' and 'no'
        even i checked 'Use local time for file naming and rollover' option of IIS but those didnot help me?

        what do you suggest me?

        Thanks For your interests ...

        Tunahan
      • Guy M. Grimes - UCS-COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
          OK here is the History Lesson! Arpanet(arpa) was not the 1st network created
          but was the 1st government networking project which it's goal was to create
          a means of communication that 1. would allow computers to share data and
          connect together and 2. a second project was to find a way voice comm. could
          not be interupted like a Nuke going off distroying a whole section of
          telecom infostructure. Before telecommunications was point to point full
          carrier wave. Break the connection at any point along the path and this
          method fails.

          Break through idea! change voice carrier waves to digital data packets to a
          predetermined size with destination information in the header of each
          packet. Digital devices were created to gate or route these packets.
          Routers allowed packets to pass or be routed along one of it's connections
          if the ip address was apart of it's connection. IE these packets could
          reach it's destination through a multitude of network connections even if a
          huge hunk of truck line got severed. This was a national security issue and
          the protocol TCP/IP was redeveloped to allow computers to use the same
          method. Arpa was the origional computer network pre internet that merged to
          one communications backbone for voice, data & video that this new tcp/ip and
          routing system was designed to manage. Arpa merged into the common backbone
          infustructure used today we call the internet. What you are seeing are the
          universities and government sites along that network that still exists
          today.

          > I have noticed for some time now an entry in my webalizer stats under
          > the countries section of "Old Style Arpanet(arpa)".
          >
          > Does anyone know what country this is or if it's a country at all?
          > I'm thinking it may be a server name getting mixed in with the
          > countries listing somehow, but not really sure.
          >
          > If someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > CorbinB2

        • PeterBX
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
            I figured as much...in the sense it was some kind of network thing

            Thanks for the history lesson....:0)

            > I have noticed for some time now an entry in my webalizer stats under
            > the countries section of "Old Style Arpanet(arpa)".
            >
            > Does anyone know what country this is or if it's a country at all?
            > I'm thinking it may be a server name getting mixed in with the
            > countries listing somehow, but not really sure.
            >
            > If someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > CorbinB2

          • Kees de Keizer
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
              On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 tunahanunal@... wrote:

              > Im playing with options of webalizer which is downloaded
              > from http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/ and im running
              > webalizer on IIS5.0 + w2k. server's timezone is GMT+2 ..
              > i could not arrange correctly -hourly graphics- stage of
              > webalizer results and webalizer shows hourly statistics
              > 2 hours less than real(correct) time? i changed GMTTime
              > option to 'yes' and 'no' even i checked 'Use local time for
              > file naming and rollover' option of IIS but those didnot
              > help me? what do you suggest me?

              ConvertTime yes

              Note: This option is for marked as 'Test only', but you
              could give it a try.

              If you look at the bottom of the sample.conf, you can see
              several options just for this version.
              Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            • Lightfoot.Michael
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
                It is one of the TLDs (Top Level Domains). It was originally the _only_
                TLD but now is used almost exclusively by reverse lookups
                (address-to-name lookups) via the in-addr.arpa zone.

                Note that the "names" given to the "countries" in your Webalizer output
                are nothing magic - they are derived from a text file in your
                configuration.

                m.

                Unavoidable crap follows...
                NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
                information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
                disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
                error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
                does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.

                Comcare's Canberra and Melbourne offices have moved to new premises.

                We hope this notice makes it easier for you to update your records.

                New street addresses:

                Canberra office
                Level 1
                14 Moore street
                CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

                Melbourne Office
                Level 2
                121 William Street
                MELBOURNE VIC 3001
                Claims Fax Number 03 9620 4721

                Please call Comcare on 1300 366 979 if you have any queries.