Automated Daily Stats via cron

  • corbinb2
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2002
      I am looking for an example of a cron job to run stats on multiple
      vhosts every night as well as general instructions for using cron on
      Unix(FreeBSD) machine running Apache.

      Any help or links you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      CorbinB2
    • vinai@work-in-the.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2002
        On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 12:03:43PM -0000, corbinb2 wrote:
        > I am looking for an example of a cron job to run stats on multiple
        > vhosts every night as well as general instructions for using cron on
        > Unix(FreeBSD) machine running Apache.

        cron usage instructions:

        man crontab
        and
        man 5 crontab

        I have a webalizer config file for each vhost.
        Here is a sample crontab entry to run webalizer at half past eight each day:

        30 20 * * * /usr/local/bin/webalizer -Q -c /usr/local/webalizer/conf/a-vhost.com.conf

        If you want webazolver to update the dns cache file you will have to add an entry
        for that, too, so webazolver will be finished before webalizer starts to generate the stats.

        Of course each vhost will have to be logged into seperate files.
        Do that via the following apache instruction

        CustomLog /db/logs/www.a-vhost.com-access_log combined

        in each vhost section.

        I hope that helps,

        Vinai
      • Guy M. Grimes - UCS-COM
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2002
          Create the /etc/webalizer folder as stated in the instructions: One config
          file name to each domain name.conf
          Create this script file: runwebalizer.sh place in your /bin folder and make
          executable.
          ---------------------------script begin -------------------
          #! /bin/sh
          for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf
          do /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c $i
          done

          ------------------script end ---------------------------------
          Make sure the path to your webalizer executable is correct for your system.
          This will run all *.conf files in the /etc/webalizer folder. Then enter the
          /bin/runwebalizer.sh into your cron job, run as root and set the time you
          want it to run daily. Make sure you adjust your /etc/logrotate.d/apache
          file to reflect all apache logs to rotate. And check your default cron job
          that includes these log rotations to rotate 5 to 10 minutes after webalizer
          runs. I do this early in the morning where there is the least amout of
          traffic.

        • tunahanunal@hotpop.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2002

            I have a question about running webalizer on IIS 5.0.
            I copied one of log files from /WINNT/System32/LogFiles/M3svc1/ex020730.log
            to webalizer directory..Configured webalizer.conf file.
            But webalizer gives me an error :
            ''Warning: Truncating oversized username Skipping bad record (41)
            No valid records found! ''

            Should i change IIS's logging style? or whatever?..

            Thanks for your Interests.

            Tuna
          • Kees de Keizer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2002
              tunahanunal@... wrote on 30-07-2002:

              > I have a question about running webalizer on IIS 5.0.
              > I copied one of log files from /WINNT/System32/LogFiles/M3svc1/ex020730.log
              > to webalizer directory..Configured webalizer.conf file.
              > But webalizer gives me an error :
              > ''Warning: Truncating oversized username Skipping bad record (41)
              > No valid records found! ''
              > Should i change IIS's logging style? or whatever?..

              If you use Webalizer from http://www.webalizer.org, you should
              set your logformat to : NCSA and in the webalizer.conf the setting
              should be: Logtype clf

              If you use the version from http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
              you can use the extended log format (logfiles starting with 'ex')
              and in the webalizer.conf the setting should be: Logtype iis.
              Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            • mikalgis
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2002
                How can I achieve the same in IIS ??
                I have 400+ VHosts and need to run their ex02mmdd.log files and would
                love to give them :live" or at least "daily" webalizer stats??
                Can I share the dnslookup file? Can I have 1 .conf by VHost like in
                the Apache scheme?

                Anyone with previous experience that is willing to help - Thanks.

                Just been "promoted" (??) webmaster with 400+ customers under W2K and
                IIS - Beside the complete mess to arrange I have to setup stats for
                the clients ASAP; as they dont have anything and I dont want them to
                feel we dont deliver...

                Thanks again in advance,

                Algis

                --- In webalizer@y..., "Guy M. Grimes - UCS-COM" <ggrimes@u...> wrote:
                > Create the /etc/webalizer folder as stated in the instructions: One
                config
                > file name to each domain name.conf
                > Create this script file: runwebalizer.sh place in your /bin folder
                and make
                > executable.
                > ---------------------------script begin -------------------
                > #! /bin/sh
                > for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf
                > do /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c $i
                > done
                >
                > ------------------script end ---------------------------------
                > Make sure the path to your webalizer executable is correct for your
                system.
                > This will run all *.conf files in the /etc/webalizer folder. Then
                enter the
                > /bin/runwebalizer.sh into your cron job, run as root and set the
                time you
                > want it to run daily. Make sure you adjust
                your /etc/logrotate.d/apache
                > file to reflect all apache logs to rotate. And check your default
                cron job
                > that includes these log rotations to rotate 5 to 10 minutes after
                webalizer
                > runs. I do this early in the morning where there is the least
                amout of
                > traffic.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Kees de Keizer
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 29, 2002
                  On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, mikalgis wrote:

                  >How can I achieve the same in IIS ??
                  >I have 400+ VHosts and need to run their ex02mmdd.log files and would
                  >love to give them :live" or at least "daily" webalizer stats??
                  >Can I share the dnslookup file? Can I have 1 .conf by VHost like in
                  >the Apache scheme?
                  >
                  >Anyone with previous experience that is willing to help - Thanks.
                  >
                  >Just been "promoted" (??) webmaster with 400+ customers under W2K and
                  >IIS - Beside the complete mess to arrange I have to setup stats for
                  >the clients ASAP; as they dont have anything and I dont want them to
                  >feel we dont deliver...

                  Take a look at this site: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

                  I use this version on my IIS systems with several hosts, just
                  using 1 webalizer.conf and 1 file with the host configuration.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
                    Thanks Kees; I'll try that. But beside I think I need a forum for
                    IIS server (lol) - That's quite different than what I know...

                    Algis

                    --- In webalizer@y..., Kees de Keizer <kees.de.keizer@w...> wrote:
                    > On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, mikalgis wrote:
                    >
                    > >How can I achieve the same in IIS ??
                    > >I have 400+ VHosts and need to run their ex02mmdd.log files and
                    would
                    > >love to give them :live" or at least "daily" webalizer stats??
                    > >Can I share the dnslookup file? Can I have 1 .conf by VHost like
                    in
                    > >the Apache scheme?
                    > >
                    > >Anyone with previous experience that is willing to help - Thanks.
                    > >
                    > >Just been "promoted" (??) webmaster with 400+ customers under W2K
                    and
                    > >IIS - Beside the complete mess to arrange I have to setup stats for
                    > >the clients ASAP; as they dont have anything and I dont want them
                    > >feel we dont deliver...
                    >
                    > Take a look at this site: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                    >
                    > I use this version on my IIS systems with several hosts, just
                    > using 1 webalizer.conf and 1 file with the host configuration.
                    > --
                    > Kees de Keizer NT Administrator T: +31-10-2448344
                    > Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
                    > http://www.wirehub.net/ mailto:kees.de.keizer@w...
                  • Henk Schrik
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002

                      Just kidding but also serious :=)

                      At 07:11 2-9-2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Thanks Kees; I'll try that. But beside I think I need a forum for
                      >IIS server (lol) - That's quite different than what I know...
                      Try Sambar-server or Apache.

                      >Algis
                    • Kees de Keizer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
                        On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Henk Schrik wrote:

                        >>Thanks Kees; I'll try that. But beside I think I need a forum for
                        >>IIS server (lol) - That's quite different than what I know...
                        >Just kidding but also serious :=)
                        >Try Sambar-server or Apache.

                        It ain't funny if you want to run your in BASIC written website
                        under Sambar. Simply, because it won't work. The choice for
                        IIS is not always up to the administrator, but more up to the
                        customers. I don't intent to begin a Apache <> IIS war, but
                        such answers do not add anything to the solution for this
                        problem.
                        Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356