Re: [webalizer] Page views vs Banner views

  • Vinai Kopp
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2002
      On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:27:46PM -0000, rpappas616 wrote:
      > My Web site is tracked by Webalizer, and the ads on my site are
      > tracked by another piece of software that is php based. While I
      > understand they count impressions, or page views, differently there
      > is such a disparity that an explanation would be very helpful.

      [javascript snipped for brevity]

      > Would each banner be registered as its own hit? My Webalizer logs
      > would suggest so, as sdtimes.com/phpads2/viewbanner_jwrap.php3
      > accounts for an average of 20% of the hits on my site. Would the page
      > views figures shown in Webalizer be similarly skewed? Would each
      > banner loaded be counted as its own page view? Neither scenario
      > explains the difference adequantely, as the math just does not work
      > to support either.

      Each request from a browser (or any other http client) is counted as a hit,
      so webalizer will count each image and every scriptlet referenced by your page
      via src="xyz" as a hit.
      If you use external javascript files (I guess the sample you added to your mail
      is used in that way) they are counted as well.

      AFAIK webalizer counts every request to a file with a filename extension
      specified via PageType in the config file as a pageview.
      Here is what I have in my webalizer.conf:

      PageType htm*
      PageType php*

      So every hit on a file with a name ending with .php,
      .php3, .phps, .htm or .html will count to the total pageviews.

      HTH,

      Vinai