Re: [webalizer] Need Help

  • Henk Schrik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002

      At 13:17 5-7-2002 +0200, you wrote:
      >On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:03:25AM -0000, kmthaw wrote:
      > > Hello webalizer-owner,
      > > I am Thaw from thailand, i am using webalizer
      > > ver 2.1...... Now i face with problem that is i lost all
      > > last about 6 months, webalizer showing only current
      > > month, June 2002. How can i do that to work it back
      > > the last 6 months as soon as possible. My machine
      > > is RedHat 6 Linux and using Apache ver 1.3.
      >
      >if you still have the logs of the last months you could
      >delete the webalizer.hist and webalizer.current files
      >(if you don't use incremental mode the might not exist)
      >and simply let webalizer re-process all logs.

      You mean this is an advice to this user with a smile :=)
      I mean you cant possibly be seriuous with such an advice.
      It brings me to having very many doubts about the usefullness
      of webalizer, if there is no other solution to such problems.

      >If you don't have the logs anymore, I guess its hard luck,
      >nothing webalizer can do about that, then!
      With some luck I managed to repair the error in the complete
      central .htm file (containing the current month) but i'm
      really worried if i would have to do it all over again,
      because somewhere in the process an error would occur......

      >HTH,
      >
      >Vinai

      Greetings,

      Henk Schrik
      tel. (31)(0)6 53612294
      e-mail: h.schrik@...
      website: http://henk.schrik.nl
      or http://henk.schrik.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
        > >if you still have the logs of the last months you could
        > >delete the webalizer.hist and webalizer.current files
        > >(if you don't use incremental mode the might not exist)
        > >and simply let webalizer re-process all logs.
        >
        > You mean this is an advice to this user with a smile :=)
        > I mean you cant possibly be seriuous with such an advice.

        Yup, that is the correct procedure. The webalizer maintains a history
        of past logs processed. If it gets deleted, then you have to re-process
        your logs to recreate that history (or restore from a backup.. you are
        doing regular backups now aren't you?). There is a possible workaround
        (see below) if you know what you are doing, but it's not recommended for
        the casual user.

        > It brings me to having very many doubts about the usefullness
        > of webalizer, if there is no other solution to such problems.

        Yeah.. so lets say you accidentally erase all of your server logs..
        do you expect apache to re-create them for you going back N months?
        How about if you accidentally blip your /etc/messages file.. do you
        expect syslog to magically bring them back? If you toast your MRTG
        files, how do you expect to get them back? What doubts could you
        possibly have with this concept?

        > >If you don't have the logs anymore, I guess its hard luck,
        > >nothing webalizer can do about that, then!
        > With some luck I managed to repair the error in the complete
        > central .htm file (containing the current month) but i'm
        > really worried if i would have to do it all over again,
        > because somewhere in the process an error would occur......

        Thats great.. until the next time you run webalizer, and it overwrites
        your index.html file, leaving out the months you 'added'. If you know the
        totals for previous months, you can edit webalizer.hist and put them back.
        This way, at least you won't have to edit the html file after each run :)

      • Henk Schrik
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002
          At 18:23 5-7-2002 -0400, you wrote:

          >Yup, that is the correct procedure. The webalizer maintains a history
          >of past logs processed. If it gets deleted, then you have to re-process
          >your logs to recreate that history (or restore from a backup.. you are
          >doing regular backups now aren't you?). There is a possible workaround
          >(see below) if you know what you are doing, but it's not recommended for
          >the casual user.
          Yes you are right in this Bradfort. Therefore I do backup my logs,
          I do backup all analyses.

          Yeah.. so lets say you accidentally erase all of your server logs..
          >do you expect apache to re-create them for you going back N months?
          >How about if you accidentally blip your /etc/messages file.. do you
          >expect syslog to magically bring them back? If you toast your MRTG
          >files, how do you expect to get them back? What doubts could you
          >possibly have with this concept?
          I dont have these problems, the one who lost his logfiles
          does, but it might be possible to use the files in the subdir /dat
          or whatever, apparently someone did something wrong and asks for
          help in repair, but if it cant be helped, so be it,
          then he should have done more about his backups :=).

          Henk Schrik
          tel. (31)(0)6 53612294
          e-mail: h.schrik@...
          website: http://henk.schrik.nl
          or http://henk.schrik.org
        • Khin Maung Thaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
            Thanks a lot Brad,
            I am not a expart user of webalizer, I
            check the webalizer.hist and current log file, but
            history file was deleted. How can i get it back of all
            past history? Please explain like ABC.

            Thanks,
            Thaw

            http://sbc.yahoo.com