Need Help

  • kmthaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hello webalizer-owner,
      I am Thaw from thailand, i am using webalizer
      ver 2.1...... Now i face with problem that is i lost all
      last about 6 months, webalizer showing only current
      month, June 2002. How can i do that to work it back
      the last 6 months as soon as possible. My machine
      is RedHat 6 Linux and using Apache ver 1.3.

      Thanks
      Thaw
    • Vinai Kopp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
        On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:03:25AM -0000, kmthaw wrote:
        > Hello webalizer-owner,
        > I am Thaw from thailand, i am using webalizer
        > ver 2.1...... Now i face with problem that is i lost all
        > last about 6 months, webalizer showing only current
        > month, June 2002. How can i do that to work it back
        > the last 6 months as soon as possible. My machine
        > is RedHat 6 Linux and using Apache ver 1.3.

        if you still have the logs of the last months you could
        delete the webalizer.hist and webalizer.current files
        (if you don't use incremental mode the might not exist)
        and simply let webalizer re-process all logs.

        If you don't have the logs anymore, I guess its hard luck,
        nothing webalizer can do about that, then!

        HTH,

        Vinai
      • Henk Schrik
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002

          At 13:17 5-7-2002 +0200, you wrote:
          >On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:03:25AM -0000, kmthaw wrote:
          > > Hello webalizer-owner,
          > > I am Thaw from thailand, i am using webalizer
          > > ver 2.1...... Now i face with problem that is i lost all
          > > last about 6 months, webalizer showing only current
          > > month, June 2002. How can i do that to work it back
          > > the last 6 months as soon as possible. My machine
          > > is RedHat 6 Linux and using Apache ver 1.3.
          >
          >if you still have the logs of the last months you could
          >delete the webalizer.hist and webalizer.current files
          >(if you don't use incremental mode the might not exist)
          >and simply let webalizer re-process all logs.

          You mean this is an advice to this user with a smile :=)
          I mean you cant possibly be seriuous with such an advice.
          It brings me to having very many doubts about the usefullness
          of webalizer, if there is no other solution to such problems.

          >If you don't have the logs anymore, I guess its hard luck,
          >nothing webalizer can do about that, then!
          With some luck I managed to repair the error in the complete
          central .htm file (containing the current month) but i'm
          really worried if i would have to do it all over again,
          because somewhere in the process an error would occur......

          >HTH,
          >
          >Vinai

          Greetings,

          Henk Schrik
          tel. (31)(0)6 53612294
          e-mail: h.schrik@...
          website: http://henk.schrik.nl
          or http://henk.schrik.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
            > >if you still have the logs of the last months you could
            > >delete the webalizer.hist and webalizer.current files
            > >(if you don't use incremental mode the might not exist)
            > >and simply let webalizer re-process all logs.
            >
            > You mean this is an advice to this user with a smile :=)
            > I mean you cant possibly be seriuous with such an advice.

            Yup, that is the correct procedure. The webalizer maintains a history
            of past logs processed. If it gets deleted, then you have to re-process
            your logs to recreate that history (or restore from a backup.. you are
            doing regular backups now aren't you?). There is a possible workaround
            (see below) if you know what you are doing, but it's not recommended for
            the casual user.

            > It brings me to having very many doubts about the usefullness
            > of webalizer, if there is no other solution to such problems.

            Yeah.. so lets say you accidentally erase all of your server logs..
            do you expect apache to re-create them for you going back N months?
            How about if you accidentally blip your /etc/messages file.. do you
            expect syslog to magically bring them back? If you toast your MRTG
            files, how do you expect to get them back? What doubts could you
            possibly have with this concept?

            > >If you don't have the logs anymore, I guess its hard luck,
            > >nothing webalizer can do about that, then!
            > With some luck I managed to repair the error in the complete
            > central .htm file (containing the current month) but i'm
            > really worried if i would have to do it all over again,
            > because somewhere in the process an error would occur......

            Thats great.. until the next time you run webalizer, and it overwrites
            your index.html file, leaving out the months you 'added'. If you know the
            totals for previous months, you can edit webalizer.hist and put them back.
            This way, at least you won't have to edit the html file after each run :)

          • Henk Schrik
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002
              At 18:23 5-7-2002 -0400, you wrote:

              >Yup, that is the correct procedure. The webalizer maintains a history
              >of past logs processed. If it gets deleted, then you have to re-process
              >your logs to recreate that history (or restore from a backup.. you are
              >doing regular backups now aren't you?). There is a possible workaround
              >(see below) if you know what you are doing, but it's not recommended for
              >the casual user.
              Yes you are right in this Bradfort. Therefore I do backup my logs,
              I do backup all analyses.

              Yeah.. so lets say you accidentally erase all of your server logs..
              >do you expect apache to re-create them for you going back N months?
              >How about if you accidentally blip your /etc/messages file.. do you
              >expect syslog to magically bring them back? If you toast your MRTG
              >files, how do you expect to get them back? What doubts could you
              >possibly have with this concept?
              I dont have these problems, the one who lost his logfiles
              does, but it might be possible to use the files in the subdir /dat
              or whatever, apparently someone did something wrong and asks for
              help in repair, but if it cant be helped, so be it,
              then he should have done more about his backups :=).

              Henk Schrik
              tel. (31)(0)6 53612294
              e-mail: h.schrik@...
              website: http://henk.schrik.nl
              or http://henk.schrik.org
            • Khin Maung Thaw
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
                Thanks a lot Brad,
                I am not a expart user of webalizer, I
                check the webalizer.hist and current log file, but
                history file was deleted. How can i get it back of all
                past history? Please explain like ABC.

                Thanks,
                Thaw

                http://sbc.yahoo.com