Visitor Stats are eratic

  • jordanjacobs73
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2002
      Greetings,

      My visitation stats seem to be performing an erratic pattern
      (oxymoron). For example, one day my visits are 150. Then the next day
      they are 6. Then the next day after that they are 170. I know this
      can't be the actual visitation pattern because I have been monitoring
      the logs with another stat application. That other stat app is
      showing consistent visits. Webalizer is way more thorough in its
      analysis so I want to continue using it. Is there a reason that
      anyone knows of that would cause this pattern to happen?

      Thanks,
      Brandon Goodin
    • PeterBX
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 26, 2002
        Are you working on these sites at all?  If you upload using FrontPage, Dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG Editor it will add to the stats as hits unless you specify they not be included. Of course you should also see them appearing as strange entries in the stats but it depends on the editor. Other than that I am not sure what would be causing it.

        Sorry couldn't be of more help.

        CorbinB2

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2002
          Brandon,

          This could be because your raw stats files are not sorted. I have seen very
          erratic results because of this.

          There is a config file parameter FoldSeqErr which will affect the way
          Webalizer behaves when the stats are not in date/time order.

          If it is "no" then when Webalizer finds a record out of sequence it ignores
          it. When you run it you will see a count of records ignored. Your hit counts
          will be low (often very low).

          If it is "yes" then it assumes that the date/time of the previous record is
          the same as the last record. This means that records are not ignored. The
          total hits etc. will then be correct. However the hour by hour analysis will
          certainly be wrong, and, if records for the for different days are mixed up
          the daily figures will be all over the place.

          I suggest you examine the raw log files to see if there are any records out
          of date/time order. If so the best thing is to sort the raw log files before
          processing. I have used the command:

          sort -t ' ' -k 4.9,4.12n -k 4.5,4.7M -k 4.2,4.3n -k 4.14,4.15n -k
          4.17,4.18n -k 4.20,4.21n < logfile > logfile.srt

          to achieve this.

          Hope this helps,

          John