unable to open DNS cache file

  • john conrad
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
      Hi, I'm trying to resolve IP's with webalizer, I set up bind and
      caching-nameserver from the RPMs that come in RedHat 7.0 and then set
      DNSCache /var/named/named.ca

      When I run webalizer again I get the following error:
      Error: Unable to open DNS cache file /var/named/named.ca

      What can be wrong??

      Thanks
    • Klaus Mueller
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
        > Hi, I'm trying to resolve IP's with webalizer, I set up bind and
        > caching-nameserver from the RPMs that come in RedHat 7.0 and then set
        > DNSCache /var/named/named.ca
        >
        > When I run webalizer again I get the following error:
        > Error: Unable to open DNS cache file /var/named/named.ca
        >
        > What can be wrong??

        Is the file the cache of the DNS-Cache program? This does not work! You need
        to specify another file for DNSCache at another location. Best is the output
        directory of your generated log files. The file is used by webalizer to
        store the DNS resolve results.

        Or you need to check the directory permissions if this ile is not part of
        the DNS cache program.

        Bye
        Klaus
      • john conrad
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
          Thanks a lot!!!!

          All I did was give it any name (i.e.
          /dos/Inetpub/wwwroot/webalizer/dns_cache)

          and everything worked just fine!!!

          It does take considerably longer though!! (Very!)

          Thanks again Klaus

          --- In webalizer@egroups.com, Klaus Mueller <k.mueller@i...> wrote:
          > > Hi, I'm trying to resolve IP's with webalizer, I set up bind and
          > > caching-nameserver from the RPMs that come in RedHat 7.0 and then
          set
          > > DNSCache /var/named/named.ca
          > >
          > > When I run webalizer again I get the following error:
          > > Error: Unable to open DNS cache file /var/named/named.ca
          > >
          > > What can be wrong??
          >
          > Is the file the cache of the DNS-Cache program? This does not work!
          You need
          > to specify another file for DNSCache at another location. Best is
          the output
          > directory of your generated log files. The file is used by webalizer
          > store the DNS resolve results.
          >
          > Or you need to check the directory permissions if this ile is not
          part of
          > the DNS cache program.
          >
          > Bye
          > Klaus
        • Héctor José Montalvo Herrera
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
            Hello!

            Someone know about this message:

            Aviso: Cortando campo de peticion demasiado grande
            > > Saltando registro erroneo (6488)
            > > Saltando registro erroneo (8085)
            > > Saltando registro erroneo (20880)

            Thanks!
          • Héctor José Montalvo Herrera
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
              What is a record bad or why the records are ignored?

              Aviso: Cortando campo de peticion demasiado grande
              > > Saltando registro erroneo (6488)
              > > Saltando registro erroneo (8085)
              > > Saltando registro erroneo (20880)

              Thanks!

              (Old URL: http://private.homepages.intershop.de/klaus/webalizer/)
            • Klaus Mueller
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
                > Someone know about this message:
                >
                > Aviso: Cortando campo de peticion demasiado grande
                > > > Saltando registro erroneo (6488)
                > > > Saltando registro erroneo (8085)
                > > > Saltando registro erroneo (20880)

                The log record is malformed/too long. The number is the line number of the
                log record.

                Bye
                Klaus
              • Klaus Mueller
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 22, 2000
                  > What is a record bad or why the records are ignored?

                  Then you need to post these three records.

                  Klaus