Referrer info / Search strings

  • les_cseh
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2002
      I could use some help with extracting search strings.

      I have encoded something along the lines of ?
      search=keyword1+keyword2&source=searchengine into all my search
      engine listings.

      These are not showing up in Webalizer.

      The problem appears to be that the info I want is encoded in
      the "GET" field rather than the "http://" field (which I assume is
      the referrer field).

      For example:

      adsl-63-191-55.mcn.bellsouth.net - - [14/May/2002:23:37:48 -
      0400] "GET /laser_checks.htm?search=laser+check&source=overture
      HTTP/1.1" 200 11843 "http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=%
      22Laser+Checks%22" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)"

      12-231-120-231.client.attbi.com - - [15/May/2002:01:18:09 -
      0400] "GET /quicken_checks.htm?search=quicken+check&source=overture
      HTTP/1.1" 200 12071 "http://search.msn.com/results.asp?
      RS=CHECKED&FORM=MSNH&v=1&q=quicken+checks" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
      MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)"

      Here's what I've added to my webalizer.conf for now:

      SearchEngine search.yahoo.com source=
      SearchEngine search.yahoo.com search=
      SearchEngine google.yahoo.com source=
      SearchEngine google.yahoo.com search=
      SearchEngine search.msn.com source=
      SearchEngine search.msn.com search=
      SearchEngine www.asapchecks.com source=
      SearchEngine www.asapchecks.com search=

      Is this the right approach? Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance,

      lcc.

      ASAP Checks, Forms & Supplies
      Great deals on some of the most secure checks you can buy!
      http://www.asapchecks.com info@...
      Toll Free: (888) 85-CHECK
    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2002
        les_cseh wrote on 16-05-2002:

        > I have encoded something along the lines of ?
        > search=keyword1+keyword2&source=searchengine into all my search
        > engine listings.
        >
        > These are not showing up in Webalizer.
        >
        > The problem appears to be that the info I want is encoded in
        > the "GET" field rather than the "http://" field (which I assume is
        > the referrer field).

        > For example:
        > adsl-63-191-55.mcn.bellsouth.net - - [14/May/2002:23:37:48 -
        > 0400] "GET /laser_checks.htm?search=laser+check&source=overture
        > HTTP/1.1" 200 11843 "http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=%
        > 22Laser+Checks%22" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)"
        >
        > Here's what I've added to my webalizer.conf for now:
        >
        > SearchEngine search.yahoo.com source=
        > SearchEngine search.yahoo.com search=
        > SearchEngine google.yahoo.com source=
        > SearchEngine google.yahoo.com search=
        > SearchEngine search.msn.com source=
        > SearchEngine search.msn.com search=
        > SearchEngine www.asapchecks.com source=
        > SearchEngine www.asapchecks.com search=
        >
        > Is this the right approach?

        Not at all. Search string are extracted from the referer string
        and not from the file being read from your server. The entries
        for the other search engines won't work either. It must be
        something like this:

        SearchEngine yahoo.com p=
        SearchEngine msn.com q=
        Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
        Any second now, you'll feel no pain [Kiss o/t Spider Woman]
      • les_cseh
        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2002
          --- In webalizer@y..., Kees de Keizer <kees.de.keizer@w...> wrote:
          > > Is this the right approach?
          >
          > Not at all. Search string are extracted from the referer string
          > and not from the file being read from your server. The entries
          > for the other search engines won't work either. It must be
          > something like this:
          >
          > SearchEngine yahoo.com p=
          > SearchEngine msn.com q=

          Thanks, Keez.

          Are you saying there is no way for Webalizer to extract that
          information, that I'll have to either use another tool or do it
          manually?

          Regards,

          lcc.
        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2002
            les_cseh wrote on 16-05-2002:

            > [Stats on arguments with local webpages]
            > Are you saying there is no way for Webalizer to extract that
            > information, that I'll have to either use another tool or do it
            > manually?

            Webalizer, doesn't handle that information. I've just a checked
            a webalizer.current file for a website that uses arguments on
            asp-pages, but webalizer doesn't save the arguments.

            You'll have to find another tool to extract that information
            from the logfile(s).
            Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
            Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you! [The Phantom]