Re: [webalizer] to log or not to log?

  • Kees de Keizer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      michael_lugassy wrote on 30-04-2002:

      > my site is pretty big - has forums, e-commerce store, huge index,
      > hunderds of images - you know the drill - my question is:
      > should I let IIS log EVERY Resource of the site (for example,
      > images directory? includes, external javascripts, footers, stuff like
      > that?) I have a dilema because:
      >
      > 1. removing logging from this resources will make the log
      > files MUCH smaller, hence - imporve performance and diskspace
      > BUT
      > 2. I will never know the actual badnwidth, external traces
      > and real consumption on my site...?
      >
      > Any help and tips what is the best practice?

      I don't know if it's best practice, but the method I use on
      the servers at the company where I work and at home is:

      + Log everything with daily W3C format for large sites
      + Use the Incremental option in webalizer
      + Add old logfiles to a ZIP-file

      I.E. My personal server gives me logfiles from 15-20 MB each
      day. I zip the old files to monthly zip-files. These files
      are about 30MB in size, which is much smaller that the 525MB.
      Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
      We've not much time, and quite a problem here [JC Superstar]