to log or not to log?

  • michael_lugassy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      my site is pretty big - has forums, e-commerce store, huge index,
      hunderds of images - you know the drill - my question is:
      should I let IIS log EVERY Resource of the site (for example,
      images directory? includes, external javascripts, footers, stuff like
      that?) I have a dilema because:

      1. removing logging from this resources will make the log files MUCH
      smaller, hence - imporve performance and diskspace

      BUT

      2. I will never know the actual badnwidth, external traces and real
      consumption on my site...?

      Any help and tips what is the best practice?

      Thanks.

      Michael.
    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2002
        michael_lugassy wrote on 30-04-2002:

        > my site is pretty big - has forums, e-commerce store, huge index,
        > hunderds of images - you know the drill - my question is:
        > should I let IIS log EVERY Resource of the site (for example,
        > images directory? includes, external javascripts, footers, stuff like
        > that?) I have a dilema because:
        >
        > 1. removing logging from this resources will make the log
        > files MUCH smaller, hence - imporve performance and diskspace
        > BUT
        > 2. I will never know the actual badnwidth, external traces
        > and real consumption on my site...?
        >
        > Any help and tips what is the best practice?

        I don't know if it's best practice, but the method I use on
        the servers at the company where I work and at home is:

        + Log everything with daily W3C format for large sites
        + Use the Incremental option in webalizer
        + Add old logfiles to a ZIP-file

        I.E. My personal server gives me logfiles from 15-20 MB each
        day. I zip the old files to monthly zip-files. These files
        are about 30MB in size, which is much smaller that the 525MB.
        Wirehub! Internet PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
        We've not much time, and quite a problem here [JC Superstar]