Re: [webalizer] How exactly are "Search Strings" determined?

  • Neil Highley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 12:16 AM
      If you look at your logs, it will show a referrer page, which is the URL of
      the page which the user came from, if the user was at a search engine then
      the searched string is usually in the URL as few search engines use post for
      search submissions (it prevents users from saving searches).
      Therefore, what webalizer does is examine this referrer for tell tale signs
      of search engine origination, such as URL and it strips out the query by
      using a lookup table (in webalizer.conf), for example google uses
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=webalizer+search+string webalizer takes
      the query then adds it to the list in the results page. Very rarely do you
      have to update webalizer to handle new search engines or strings but it is
      useful to know how it is done.

      neilhighley@...
      "Life must be lived as play."
      - Plato (427 - 347 BC)