Log File Converter WAR

  • KevinS@WebHostWiz.Com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2000
      OK I hope this can end the log file converter WAR!

      Thanks to Jean Noel HAYART

      With his release of Webalizer2.01.06.R01 that reads IIS log files
      There is no more need to convert before running Webalizer.
      So I guess that the Saturday afternoon I spent re-writing my
      Visual Basic code to VB Script was wasted.
      Yes Mr. David A. Pérez I did write the script!
      Yes Mr. David A. Pérez I did "steal" the idea of doing it in VBS from
      you.
      Because the VB EXE would return to the command prompt before the
      file had finished writing and webalizer could not find the converted
      file.
      I needed to have the time zone difference converted and your script
      did not support that function. Maybe you never noticed that IIS stores
      The time in GMT but I'm –6 hours from that and the time of day
      Report was way off for me.

      Which brings me to a request of Jean Noel HAYART
      Could you possibly add a switch for time difference?

      As for Mr. Pérez I'll pass on any lessons on being a PERSON from you!
      You come in here and FLAME my ass without looking at the facts then
      you
      Try in insult me by calling me a "hacker".
      I think that is kind of hypocritical of you when you turn around and
      hack
      my web site and delete files! I'm not that proud of that little
      script to
      make it worth all that. You can have it!

      I apologize to the rest of the users in this group who are
      professionals and not HACKER KIDS for having to listen to this
      dribble.

      Kevin S.
    • David A. Pérez
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2000
        Hi Kevin,

        > OK I hope this can end the log file converter WAR!

        I do not see any war.

        I just felt so bad when I saw that you copy the script line by line,
        just changing the name of some variables, adding your own comments a
        new switch, that I had to do anything.

        I shouldn't do what I did, but put it this way, I did not delete
        anything in your machines, except the logs and two Visual Basic
        programs that I will return to you if you do not have a back up, and
        now you know that there is a security hole in your network.

        Jean Noel HAYARTM did I great job including IIS support into
        Webalizer, but the script that I did still being valid, because it is
        not just a converter, it is a "search script". I think that is so
        easy to use it to locate 404 and 500 errors, and most important, 401
        errors to locate intruders :) (if the intruders do not delete the
        logs ;) Plus I'm includding support for MDaemon (an email server),
        and I will add support for anything else if anyone require it.

        And now, I do apologize for all this shit-cross-off-topic-messages.

        Let's work together :)

        a) IIS can save the time in GMT (default) or local.

        b) If anyone forgot to change the default de default, let's ad tehj
        swtich to the script. Send me the code, and I will add it to the
        script and, or course, your name, as it should be.

        c) You mention anything about reading more than one file at once?
        Let's do it.

        Instead of loosing our times in this stupid messages, we'll do it
        better putting our efforts together. I would be better for us, and
        for all the Webalizer users.

        I'm sorry for this off topic, but I hope that from now on, everybody
        will benefit from our differences.

        Kind regards,

        David A. Pérez
        ProActive Comms Ltd.