daily reports

  • Alejandro Fernandez
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21 1:46 AM
      Hi

      How do I set up webalizer to run daily reports, ie, reports that run from exactly midnight on the previous day to midnight on the day I'm reporting? This is so marketing people can get precise daily usage figures, as well as knowing all the detail for that day.

      Thanks,

      Ale

      --
      Alejandro Fernandez
      Electronic Group Interactive
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21 1:52 AM
        Webalizer allways generates daily reports as part of the detailed reports
        of each month. No need to do anything special.

        Greetings,

        Vinai

        --On Donnerstag, März 21, 2002 10:46:19 +0100 Alejandro Fernandez

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21 3:19 AM

          I know that one line of total hits, files, pages, visits, sites and kilobytes is generated for each day. What I need is a full report, including a breakdown of the IPs, referrers, search terms etc for each day. I know that I could use grep to parse the logfile for the day before and output that, but perhaps there is already some kind of built in parameter for that already... Do you know if there is some way to do this?

          Thanks anyway,

          Ale

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21 4:45 AM
            Sorry, I missunderstood you. Hm - don't know. I think I would use the dump
            feature and import the data into a database, and then select out the
            informations I need.

            HTH,

            Vinai

            --On Donnerstag, März 21, 2002 12:19:06 +0100 Alejandro Fernandez
            <ale@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I know that one line of total hits, files, pages, visits, sites and
            > kilobytes is generated for each day. What I need is a full report,
            > including a breakdown of the IPs, referrers, search terms etc for each
            > day. I know that I could use grep to parse the logfile for the day before
            > and output that, but perhaps there is already some kind of built in
            > parameter for that already... Do you know if there is some way to do this?
            >
            > Thanks anyway,
            >
            > Ale
            >
            > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:52:53 +0100
            > Vinai Kopp <vinai@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Webalizer allways generates daily reports as part of the detailed
            >> reports of each month. No need to do anything special.
            >>
            >> Greetings,
            >>
            >> Vinai
            >>
            >> --On Donnerstag, März 21, 2002 10:46:19 +0100 Alejandro Fernandez
            >> <ale@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> > Hi
            >> >
            >> > How do I set up webalizer to run daily reports, ie, reports that run
            >> > from exactly midnight on the previous day to midnight on the day I'm
            >> > reporting? This is so marketing people can get precise daily usage
            >> > figures, as well as knowing all the detail for that day.

          • PeterBX
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21 4:59 AM
              Not trying to state the obvious but couldn't you simply set up a script to run the script at midnight and then delete or move out the log files. The output file would need to be renamed somehow during the process so as not to overwrite the previous days logs, but would work yes?

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21 4:59 AM
                Hm...
                then you would *only* have daily reports. If thats ok I guess it would
                work...

                Greetings,

                Vinai

                --On Donnerstag, März 21, 2002 05:59:23 -0700 PeterBX

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21 5:05 AM
                  Yeah sounded like what he wanted...lol

                  If you could compile the moved log files somewhere into one you would then have the means to run monthly reports as well. Just a thought.

                  I'm sure there are other ways as well.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 21 5:13 AM
                    Sounds like detailed daily statistics would be just the thing the dump
                    feature would be usefull for.
                    Just curious: what do you webalizing people who use the dump feature use it
                    for?

                    Greetings,

                    Vinai
                  • Alejandro Fernandez
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 21 5:28 AM

                      My wild dream is to be able to give people weekly, monthly, daily and yearly reports. So they could have some throwaway daily reports, that get deleted after a few days, a couple of months of old weekly reports, and the past yearly report, which due to webalizer's current report format, would already include detailed reports for each month so far...

                      The reason I asked is that I've used analog before, which comes with "FROM" and "TO" parameters... you just feed it what you want, but set FROM=190302:0000 and TO=200302:0000 and it'll only parse those lines.

                      Otherwise, the problem is logfile size, splitting it right at midnight (when the logfiles might come from a live server some time after the old logs rotate, ie, at 5am each day), and as you say, being able to do all these reports together. One thing I might need to do to save myself having to keep humungous amounts of logs on the stats server would be clever trickery with webalizer's incremental "-p" feature...

                      Another bother is that for each daily report, poor users will (very slowly) get RSI from each day having to click into the "usage_200202.html" or whatever... ...I suppose a bash script can solve that, but it would be nice to be able to turn the usage summary page off...

                      Ale

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 21 5:48 AM
                        The more I ponder about it, the more sense it seams to make to me to go the
                        database way - a couple of php or perl cgi's can't be that difficult to
                        retrieve exactly the data you want and generate the graphs dynamically.
                        Did you try to google for something? I think someone must have allready
                        built that kind of frontend for webalizer/mysql.

                        I really don't need that kind of detailed stats, but if nothing can be
                        found it sounds like a fun thing to do with a good idea of whats wanted.

                        Alejandro, why did you switch from analog?
                        I was thinking of switching to to it :)

                        Greetings,

                        Vinai

                        --On Donnerstag, März 21, 2002 14:28:20 +0100 Alejandro Fernandez