Visit calculation and 401 codes

  • xz39gl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2002
      First, thanks for the great tool.

      I'm using V2.01-06 on Solaris 8 processing iPlanet web server logs. I
      was trying to figure out why the number of visits calculated by
      Webalizer and a popular commercial tool varied so widely on a
      particular site. The site requires authentication so the first hit of
      a visit generates a 401 (unauthorized) return code. The users then
      authenticate and continue on with successful return codes for the
      remainder of the visit. Webalizer appears to record this as 2 visits
      or even 3 visits if the records are slightly out of sequence. I
      haven't checked other non-successful codes. Why does the visit
      terminate on a 401?