Statistics Terminology

  • weddingguy_2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2002
      Can anyone help me by either providing a list of definitions for the
      words used in Webalizer's reports or refer me to a site that has
      these definitions.? I am looking for accurate definitions for:
      Total Hits
      Total Files
      Total Pages
      Total Visits
      Total KBytes
      Total Unique Sites
      Total Unique URLs
      Total Unique Referrers
      Total Unique Usernames
      Total Unique User Agents
      Lastly, why would there be such a large difference between the
      numbers for the referrers to our domain name for these two addresses:

      1 291749 32.66% http://www.ourdomainname.com/
      2 81029 9.07% - (Direct Request)
      13 12574 1.41% http://www.ourdomainname.com
      Could the "/" really make such a difference?
    • PeterBX
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2002
        There should be a complete set of definitions and many more answers to future questions I'm sure, in the free documentation package available at:

        (This link is also listed on the webalizer.org site)

        As to the redundant entries...

        The webalizer program creates reports from the raw logs which records EXACTLY how someone got to your site. So if they added the trailing slash it will show up as a separate listing in the stats.  For example lets say you have the domain cars.com

        You may have each of the following in your stat even though they are all the same thing:

        cars.com

        and the list goes on....

        I do know you can group results so you may want to group all cars.com entries in this example into one group but not sure of what your needs or what you need from your stats reports.  Hope this helps some.

        Peter Yanke

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2002
          I also would benefit from an explanation of all of the stats in the
          reports. http://www.geocities.com/danilody/ does not have its user
          guide available right now. I looked on the webalizer site and found
          just a quick guide to the major terms, but nothing that would help
          me or others out there determine what all that info really means.
          Is there a general web site out there that any of you know about
          that explains web traffic and analysis? Perhaps we could apply that
          to our reports. Thanks in advance. 8)

          Ryan

          Service.
        • Alejandro Fernandez
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 26, 2002
            There may be, but it may not correspond to what webalizer does... Try
            http://www.abce.co.uk/cert/def.asp

            Don't know of a generic site for web stats help, but analog and other web usage analysers might have their own explanations and definitions. Try http://www.analog.cx/ and go to the docs, especially the page on how the web works. Should be useful in general understanding of things...

            Ale

            Alejandro Fernandez
            Electronic Group Interactive
            --+34-65-232-8086--