Alternate domain names

  • corbinb2
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
      I have a client who has multiple domain names pointed to the same
      site. They don't appear to show up in the referrer stats. Is this
      something that should be picked up in the stats?

      For example:

      If the site name is cars.com and he also has mycars.com and your
      cars.com pointed to the same server, would these other two domains
      not show up as referrers if people accessed the site using them?

      Is there a special setting or command that would need to be modified
      to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      CorbinB2
    • Vinai Kopp
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2002
        --On Donnerstag, März 07, 2002 16:36:34 +0000 corbinb2
        <peter@...> wrote:

        > I have a client who has multiple domain names pointed to the same
        > site. They don't appear to show up in the referrer stats. Is this
        > something that should be picked up in the stats?
        >
        > For example:
        >
        > If the site name is cars.com and he also has mycars.com and your
        > cars.com pointed to the same server, would these other two domains
        > not show up as referrers if people accessed the site using them?
        >
        > Is there a special setting or command that would need to be modified
        > to accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        I don't know which server or OS you use, but with Apache it could depend on
        the setting of UseCanonicalName in httpd.conf. You might need to set it to
        "off" so the host the client browser supplies is used.

        HTH,

        Vinai