      De : gisaac@... [mailto:gisaac@...]
      Envoye : mardi 9 octobre 2001 19:07

      A : webalizer@yahoogroups.com
      Objet : [webalizer] Re: Question for Win32 Webalizer users?

      Thanks,

      That is interesting as I was wondering whether or not it was worth
      compressing either the DNS files or the 'webalizer.current' file.

      Actually I have good news and bad news for you! I ported the UNIX
      version to Windows just a test to see how close I could keep them. It
      basically ported very well and easily, I then worked on the DNS part
      which didnt compile in by default.

      And I have a multithreaded DNS lookup mechanism that uses a
      configurable thread pool (dnschildren) to perform the lookups (max 64
      concurrent threads). In fact this turned out to be reasonably simple.
      However at that time I didnt have access to the Win32 port, so while
      I did things in a similar way as the current Win32 version it is not
      a drop in replacement.

      So in essence the threaded DNS code exists, and I am going to release
      a modified version of Webalizer with a couple of new features:

      * Multi-threaded DNS pool
      * IIS W3C parsing no longer requires the date to be used
      * 404 error report
      * Denied URL report
      * Squid proxy status (HITS vs MISSES vs DENIED etc)

      -- The following are work in progress

      * Ensure all changes are portable to Linux
      * Additional data collection for 304's
      * and a couple of other Squid related reports.
      * Combine the languages into a single executable
      * Potentially compressing 'webalizer.current' to save space on the
      server

      However the release wont be for a month or two.

      I have a particular interest in parsing Squid logs at the moment. If
      someone wants to reintegrate in the multithreaded DNS code into the
      offical Win32 version I can email them a copy. It shouldnt be too
      hard.

      Also do you have any information on the webtrends addin? I havnt seen
      this one before. Do you have a URL for it?

      Thanks,

      Gareth

      --- In webalizer@y..., "Nick Heinemans" <spam@h...> wrote:
      > Well, that what I thought when I first setup webalizer. I'm running
      several
      > servers with Webalizer, some of them have 200+ sites running. These
      sites
      > all create separate logs in separate directories. I'm running
      multiple
      > instances of Webalizer in order to have the stats updated every
      night. At
      > first I setup all these webalizers to use the same dns.db file, for
      > thought it would speed things up (no duplicate DNS lookups). I
      noticed the
      > dns.db file never grew very big, sometime it was around 2MB, but
      never much
      > bigger. Sometimes is was 100-200KB. So I got the impression at some
      point in
      > the webalizer process, the dns.db is rebuilt, discarding existing
      > information. So then I figured it would be better to have a
      separate dns.db
      > for each webalizer. This doesn't seem to have a big impact on the
      speed.

      > I really would like to see some sort of a multi-threaded reverse DNS
      > function in win32 Webalizer, since this is the most time consuming
      part of
      > the whole webalizer process. Is it so much different from Unix,
      where there
      > is some sort of a webazolver running?
      >
      > Did anybody try the IIS log plug-in from Webtrends, which logs DNS
      names
      > instead of IP adresses in the normal IIS extended logfiles? This
      could speed
      > up webalizer, but I can imagine it results in a bigger load on the
      server
      > since it has to do real-time reverse DNS. I haven't had time to try
      this
      > plug-in in a real environment, but I hope to do so soon.
      >
      > Nick

      Webalizer
      > and are using the reverse DNS lookups. How big are your DNS
      files? I
      > would think these files get pretty big as they are text, but was
      > curious how big they got in a live environment.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Gareth
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.