3808Re: cannot open log file

  • nicolasfranck.jl12
    Jan 17, 2012
      Thanks for your reply

      I already tried that. I copied the logfile to my home folder,
      renamed it, and changed the configuration file to point
      to the custom logfile in my folder. But still the
      same error:
      'cannot access log file /home/njfrank/test.log'

      on my ubuntu webalizer of the same version works fine.

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

      > On 1/16/2012 02:36, nicolasfranck.jl12 wrote:
      > > Hi there,
      > >
      > > I'm using webalizer V2.21-02 (Linux 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64) English on a redhat-server, and trying to configure out why webalizer
      > > is giving me this error message:
      > >
      > > 'cannot access log file /var/log/nginx/access.log'
      > >
      > > I checked the permissions on the file, and they are all fine. Webalizer was installed using a yum-repository.
      > >
      > > here a part of the configuration file (/etc/webalizer.conf):
      > > [code]
      > > LogFile /var/log/nginx/access.log
      > > OutputDir /var/www/usage
      > > [/code]
      > > the permission on /var/www/usage are also fine ;-)
      > > and this is wat 'strace webalizer' gives:
      >
      > at a guess, i'd say that you're trying to read a live log file... one that the
      > server has open and locked for all access... it would be nice if it opened the
      > log file for write and didn't deny read... at least this is what i recall from
      > years past on my system when i fought a similar problem... i could only process
      > historical (ie: non-live) logs at that time... i also wanted an easy logrotate
      > capability... my OS doesn't/didn't have all the capabilites of other OS' so i
      > use a logfile tool for my server to write my logs with... the tool closes the
      > file after each write...
      >
      > if you don't have such a tool and you confirm this is the problem, then you'll
      > only be able to process historical log (or maybe a copy if you can do that)...

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic