      From: webalizer@yahoogroups.com [mailto:webalizer@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andy Brager
      Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:38 PM
      To: webalizer@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [webalizer] A question

      Just additional info for you… Running stats like that could take days or weeks to generate. A few have tried and on my log files (400-600 Mb per day), well, I quit processing them manually after 18 hours because I want to do something else at that point.

      I could understand on a file that size.  However you could further break it down by hour and just process part of the file.  It's been my experience that most programs attempt to suck the entire file into memory, and therefore spends all the CPU's time paging & swapping instead of actually analyzing.  If webalizer (or whatever program) instead broke the file up into manageable chunks, chances are it would go substantially faster.

      However, I'm not really thinking about your scenario because 1) my log files are very small because it's a brand new website.  Newer sites are more concerned with these things than older sites with an established presence.  When I reach log files of that size I too will probably find this extra information less useful.  2) You don't HAVE to process them in this manner, it's an option, not a requirement.  3) Faster hardware is always coming out.  What used to take months years ago, now takes days.  Software should never be handicapped due to hardware limitations, other than to write them more efficiently.

      You can filter out some stats like googlebot by using the hidden tags in the config file. (I’m not sure if this completely removes all stats from googlebot or not though, but it would remove it from the agents section.)

      Keypoint:  To the best of my knowledge at this time, I do not have access to the config file.  I'm just a plain old user on a webhost that controls most everything I do.  Just about all tasks require that I click on an icon.  No shell access.  Sucks to be me.  Further, unless it does in fact remove it from all stats, it doesn't help me.

      [..snip..]

      Btw… Visits are like ‘Sessions’ – a visit is a user hit that hit your pages 1 or more times within X minutes (30 default I think) – if the user comes back 2 hours later, then that is a second visit.

      Useful to know thank you, but not as useful as what I outlined earlier - in my opinion.

      Like someone else has suggested before I finished  this, you should probably do you own analysis on top of what webalyzer gives you… I’d recommend shoving logs into SQL and then running queries on them there and display as html.

      I guess.  I find that I usually have to "roll my own" for virtually everything and I'm getting too old to keep on slicing and dicing.  It would just be nice if for once somebody's program had features I found truly useful.  The data is there.  The people/person who wrote the software did a really nice job of presenting some of it.   They clearly know how to write nice software.  Can't there be some thought  & consideration given to presenting the data in a different way that might be more meaningful to some people?