3491Re: [webalizer] Log files

    Mar 16, 2006
      > In the past (before I started using Webalizer several months ago) I
      > never really worried about rotating Apache logs - when they started
      > getting pretty big I'ld just stop Apache, delete them then restart
      > Apache. I don't think I can do that now that I am using Webalizer
      > and still maintain my Webalizer historical data (or can I?).

      Sure you can.. just add an extra step..

      Stop apache
      Process the web server logs with webalizer
      Delete the logs
      Restart apache

      > I read on the Webalizer web site (or in the README) about
      > incremental webalizer processing. Is this something I can implement
      > on an already running webalizer setup or would I have to recompile
      > and start over to do that?

      Just add 'Incremental yes' to your config file or use the '-p' command
      line option. Note: if you do the above procedure at the end of the
      month (ie: stop the web server at midnight on the last day of the
      month), then you don't need to worry about using the incremental
      option.. just do the above and you will be fine.

      > Also, what's the best way to rotate Apache logs on a FreeBSD box?

      The 'best' way is different for different people and different setups.
      Whatever works for you is generally the 'best' way for your server.

      > There's a file in /etc called newsyslog.conf that rotates the system
      > logs, but I don't think I can do the starting/stopping of Apache
      > using it. Apache has something called rotatelogs, but it says that
      > that is for "piped logs" and I really don't know what they mean by
      > that.
      >
      > If someone can do it, I'ld sure appreciate info on the best way to
      > rotate Apache logs without losing Webalizer data.

      As long as you feed all available log records through the webalizer,
      you won't lose data. Be that by the above procedure, by rotating
      and then processing, whatever.. (a sample rotate script can be found
      in the README file). Also, most people like to keep at least a month
      or more of historic logs though, just in case. I generally rotate the
      log at the end of the month, process it via the webalizer, then compress
      and archive it, keeping the last 12 months of logs on the system. Space
      limitations may prevent keeping this may archived logs, so it's really
      up to each individual installation as to how they handle them.