3293Re: [webalizer] Problems with Truncating oversized referrer

  • Colonel Angel
    Jul 28, 2005
      It is possible to group by domain name only without
      the long referrnce line. It's in the webalizer.conf
      file itself.

      I'm sure you don't need the full referrence line, so
      you should be able to group it by domain instead.

      I could be wrong, but... I believe it's possible.

      Angel

      --- "William L. Thomson Jr."

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EP4606-19-16-aluminum-rims-4-Harley-Indian-wheels_W0QQitemZ4560520029QQcategoryZ35557QQrdZ1QQcmd

      > > > I believe even longer ones as well. I am getting
      > >
      > > where are you seeing these?? in the referrer
      > field??
      >
      > Yes and I believe it's entirely eBay related. They
      > seem to have changed
      > their format recently. No more ? and params
      > following a file, dll, etc.
      > Seems they are parsing it via some other means but
      > it's creating huge
      > refers.
      >
      > > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
      > >
      > > TTBOMK, there's really only so much of the
      > referrer field that webalizer uses... however, there
      > have been posts with
      > > info on how to enlarge the buffer(s) and recompile
      > webalizer...
      >
      > I can look into doing that but I assume it will be
      > effecting others as
      > well. eBay + webalizer = problem. Just my
      > assumptions so far. I will see
      > if I can fit some time in tomorrow to run some
      > tests.
      >
      > > > On avg around 3000 times when running Webalizer
      > daily via cron.
      > > >
      > > > I am also seeing stuff like XXXX:+++++++ with a
      > ton of ++++ but not as
      > > > many and I am not sure if that is a problem or
      > not.
      > >
      > > this is generally due to users using some sort of
      > anonymizing service or proxy to block the referring
      > site they came
      > > from... on my site, i (try) to specifically block
      > these with a rewrite rule in my apache... the
      > rewrite rule basically
      > > redirects them to a page that tells them to stop
      > blocking their referrer so that they will be able to
      > access the site as
      > > intended... i've many pages that require they be
      > accessed from internal urls and they are disallowed
      > if accessed from
      > > externals...
      >
      > Yes I will look into that, but seems I have much
      > less of those than the
      > eBay ones. It's only effecting one site at the
      > moment, mainly because
      > that site does allot with eBay.
      >
      > It's data I do want in webalizer because it allows
      > me to track that they
      > did come from eBay and etc. In fact with their new
      > format, I will know
      > even more. Instead of just
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll
      >
      > I am pretty sure it's eBay because the webalizer is
      > starting to show
      > more and more of the smaller ones. The larger longer
      > ones not so much.
      >
      > In fact it might be part of eBays switch to Sun
      > servers and etc,
      > obviously the above or old ones were Windows. Glad
      > they made the switch,
      > but it's wrecking havoc on webalizer :)
      >

      > --
      > Sincerely,