3134Re: [webalizer] Trying to Create apache alias for webalizer output directory

    Mar 8, 2005
      --- soren625 <p_d_burton@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am trying to create an alias in httpd.conf like
      > so:
      > #
      > # Webalizer usage statistics page
      > #
      > Alias /usage/ "/var/www/usage/"
      > <Directory "/var/www/usage">
      > AllowOverride All
      > Options None
      > Order allow,deny
      > Allow from ALL
      > </Directory>
      > that will allow me to view usage statistics from the
      > Web.
      > However, when I restart apache with this alias
      > added, I get this:
      > Starting httpd: [Mon Mar 07 13:26:38 2005] [warn]
      > The Alias directive
      > in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 530 will
      > probably never match
      > because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

      This is because in a line before line 530 you have an
      Alias line that goes similar to this:

      Alias /usage "/some/path/to/somewhere"

      or lke this:

      Alias /us "/some/path/to/there"

      Any request will be compared by apache alias by alias,
      in the same order they the alias are listed in

      These alias I have put here happen to match the same
      requests that the line you are trying to add and are
      also listed before in httpd.conf.

      So: any "/usatge/blablabla" request from a visitor to
      your website will match both a "/us" alias and a
      "/usatge/" alias, but "/us" is listed before in
      httpd.conf, so it is the first one to be compared, and
      so it is the first one to be matched.

      Once that one alias line is matched, no more alias
      lines are compared to the request (because you cannot
      alias to two different places).

      Apache notices this problem and then issues a warning
      so you can mend your alias list.

      > I know this is not specifically a Webalizer issue,
      > but I thought
      > perhaps some of you Webalizer pros may have some
      > experience in this
      > matter.
      > Thanks.

      Do You Yahoo!?