2163Re: webtrends to webalizer

  • John Rowe
    Jun 19, 2003
      Hey there.

      I currently have this exact setup with dozens of winnt web servers.

      All you need to do to get it working is compile webalizer with the
      patch to read w3c logfiles, or you could run each log through rconvlog
      but that could take forever.

      Basically this is my setup after compiling with the patches:

      using Samba I smbmounted all of the webserver's logs directories.
      Each site has an entry in a mySQL database with $site $server and
      $servicenumber (where servicenumber is the number after W3SVC in the
      logs directory) I then wrote tons of customized perl scripts that
      pull the info for each site and runs webalizer, basially pumping all
      of the sites into an array. Each server also has it's own
      webalizer.conf file

      Of course with our NT servers the logs are rotated daily which is
      what caused most of the cusomization since the filename changes daily
      and since IIS doesn't put the virtual domain in association with the

      In conclusion, it's 100% possible, it's a pain in the butt, but well
      worth it in the end. If you have any other questions, need help, or
      whatever feel free to contact me directly.

      I even got this to work on load balanced NT servers which was a REAL
      pain since you have to use rconvlog to convert them and then use
      mergelog to put them together and then run webalizer on them.

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Boulytchev, Vasiliy"
      <vboulytchev@c...> wrote:
      > Ladies and Gents,
      > I am a personal enemy of webtrends, and anything with a GUI
      > interface. Webtrends is probably the klunkiest analysers I have
      > faced. What essentially I would LOVE doing is somehow throwing my
      > logs onto the linux box running webalizer and apache. I guess the
      > questions are:
      > 1.) W3C and NCSA logs, are they compatible with webalizer?
      > 2.) IIS cretes a TON of log files. Problems? Concerns?
      > 3.) Would samba do?
      > Vasiliy Boulytchev
      > Colorado Information Technologies Inc.
      > (719) 473-2800 x15