Sealand: the ultimate internet anarchy

  • hypnokid36
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
      Sealand is an interesting concept: a man-made island just off the
      coast of Britain, ruled to be its own sovereign nation, consists of a
      bunch of server computers and little else.

      The "Principality of Sealand" as it is called, outlaws only child
      pornography and SPAM. It has no laws against libel, copyright
      infringement, or just about anything else that might get you into
      trouble in other places.

      A company located at http://www.havenco.com offers "colocated"
      computers that you can control via remote, meaning what you keep on
      their servers is virtually immune from prosecution.

      Now, what's to stop someone from flouting copyright or other law from
      a Sealand server? Practically, it's not much different than some
      countries in Eastern Europe, but at least they have courts.
    • Lizard
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        At 10:04 PM 11/30/2002, you wrote:

        >Now, what's to stop someone from flouting copyright or other law from
        >a Sealand server? Practically, it's not much different than some
        >countries in Eastern Europe, but at least they have courts.

        The fact that a nation's true sovereignty is only as good as its army --
        and Sealand doesn't have one.
      • Tyler Harrison
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
          They can get away with this. That is very smart of them but I don't think they will last for long.
          hypnokid36 <hypnokid36@...> wrote:Sealand is an interesting concept: a man-made island just off the
          coast of Britain, ruled to be its own sovereign nation, consists of a
          bunch of server computers and little else.

          The "Principality of Sealand" as it is called, outlaws only child
          pornography and SPAM. It has no laws against libel, copyright
          infringement, or just about anything else that might get you into
          trouble in other places.

          A company located at http://www.havenco.com offers "colocated"
          computers that you can control via remote, meaning what you keep on
          their servers is virtually immune from prosecution.

          Now, what's to stop someone from flouting copyright or other law from
          a Sealand server? Practically, it's not much different than some
          countries in Eastern Europe, but at least they have courts.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Tyler Harrison * 59278 260th Street * Nevada, IA 50201
          Email: twhplayer34@...

          Website: www.etwh.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
            > A company located at http://www.havenco.com offers "colocated"
            > computers that you can control via remote, meaning what you keep on
            > their servers is virtually immune from prosecution.
            >
            > Now, what's to stop someone from flouting copyright or other law from
            > a Sealand server?

            Nothing; but the person doing it presumably lives someplace other than
            Sealand, and can be charged there.

            > Practically, it's not much different than some
            > countries in Eastern Europe, but at least they have courts.

            It's worse in those countries: they're full of people who can't be
            charged elsewhere.

            Seth
          • hypnokid36
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
              --- In web-law@y..., Lizard <lizard@m...> wrote:
              > At 10:04 PM 11/30/2002, you wrote:
              >
              > >Now, what's to stop someone from flouting copyright or other law
              from
              > >a Sealand server? Practically, it's not much different than some
              > >countries in Eastern Europe, but at least they have courts.
              >
              > The fact that a nation's true sovereignty is only as good as its
              army --
              > and Sealand doesn't have one.

              You didn't read about the "Battle of Roughtower?"

              LOL