RE: [wdmotorcycles] Re: G3WO

  • gerard cooksley
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008

      Hello

      When I rebuilt the top end on my G3L I managed to get a new barrel from Russell Motors, cost was £75. They may have more if the rust is deemed to be too bad.

      Many thanks

      Gerard Cooksley

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
        Alistair,

        i think it is important to get all the existing paint off,by paint stripper,,,or wirebrushing...to much paint acts as an insulator rather than heat conductor...so you can then paint over bare metal. It will not rust anymore it you do this.

        I would be interested to see a picture of this corrosion..I am sure it will not affect the running of the bike...the main thing is to get it running and get out and ride it..!!

        TTFN     Ed

        The rest of the machine is O.K. as is the head, but the barrel has a
        lot of paint on it and I think it was put on over the rust which has
        kept working away over time. My funds are low for now so until I can
        source a suitable barrel I'm going to try some rust convertor and
        then black engine paint and see how it goes,

        Thanks for your help Ed.

        Alistair

        --- In wdmotorcycles@ yahoogroups. com, "matchlesswdg3"
        <fergus.anckorn@ ...> wrote:

        > Wow - some rust! If it has got this far and the fins are looking
        as
        > lacy as you describe then I think you really do need to look for a
        > new head. Not sure about availability but its amazing what NOS
        stuff
        > is out there - not to mention spare engines - its usually the
        tinware
        > thats the problem so maybe time to put away the file and pick up
        the
        > phone....... ....? Surprising, though - whats the rest of the
        machine
        > like?
        >
        > --- In wdmotorcycles@ yahoogroups. com, "arenvoize" <alistair@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Ed,
        > >
        > > The one I have has 13 fins, part no 40-16-E1/2.
        > >
        > > The fins are getting quite thin @ 1/4 inch in from the edge. If I
        > > scrape or rub it is like a "wet" rust, by this I mean it clogs my
        > > file up quickly and it is also very powdery and showing no signs
        of
        > > stopping. I was wondering if the rot has gone right through in
        > > places. I have repaired one hole the size of a 5p bit that was
        > there
        > > before I started.
        > > Is there a safe (for the barrel I mean) rust convertor out there
        > that
        > > would stop the rot and consolidate was is left?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > Alistair
        > >

        > > --- In wdmotorcycles@ yahoogroups. com, "Edd" <edd@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Alistair,
        > > >
        > > > I normally shotblast or wirebrush barrels and heads if they are
        > > rusty or heavily painted. The factory finish was black. or "Black
        > > Enamel ".
        > > > I use a heat proof engine paint, usually found at most
        accessory
        > > shops,,brush or spray.
        > > > The fins are normally fairly thick,so i am suprised you are
        > worried
        > > about them rusting right through...they can get a bit "moth-
        > eaten "
        > > on the edges,,but thats about it.....unless it is very
        corroded..in
        > > which case..you might consider another barrel.
        > > >
        > > > The correct G3 item has 13 fins against the G3L which had 11
        fins
        > > and is over 2 lbs / 1.1 kgs lighter !
        > > > The earlier 39-16-E1/2 barrel was replaced for 1940 with part
        > no
        > > 40-16-E1/2 which had two fins machined away at the front of the
        > > barrel, near the horn....which i think was an "identifier " to
        > > indicated the barrel had updates around the spigot into the
        > crankcase
        > > and/or improved conrod clearance.
        > > > A third barrel exists which has no part numbers embosed in the
        > > usual place , which i assume was a spare parts item available
> [...]

      • Edd
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
          Nobs in Normandy.

          In june we visited the "Typhoon "  fighters memorial at  Noyers Bocage...see group photo in Photos section.
          As an interesting aside, i enquired to a aviation expert yesterday as to whether any Typhoons were flying anywhere in the world. He replied one is in preparation in the US, and thats the only one in the World !!
          He doubted if any in the UK would ever get a CAA licence to fly in preservation as they were "to unreliable "  An awful lot crashed in service due to engine reliablity, not suprising when you see the complexity of the "H" section 24 cyl. 36 litre..sleeve valve 3500 bhp supercharged .air cooled engine.
          The Typhoon played an important role between June-Aug 1944 as a "Tank buster " in Normandy armed with tank destroying  Rockets.

          Ed

          wrote:
> [...]

        • Richard Purkiss
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
            Would be interested to know where there is a Typhoon being restored. The only thing I know of being restored is the very similar Tempest, which is in the Kirmit Weeks collection.
            http://www.hawkertempest.se/sai.htm
            Rich

            To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com

            wrote:
> [...]

            Miss your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your Mobile!
          • gerard cooksley
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008

              Members of the West Berks Matchless OC got a talk from a dispatch rider who was in the Falaise area the day after the battle ended. He told us that the typhoons didn’t actually need to hit their target just get close. Apparently the explosion robbed the occupants of the vehicles of oxygen and killed them instantly. He told us that there were trucks full of Germans sat motionless, eyes open and not a mark on them – frozen in time.

              Many thanks

              Gerard Cooksley

              wrote:
> [...]

            • John Tinley
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                If you want to see a Typhoon there is one at the RAF Museum in Hendon but alas it is just a static display.

                Cheers,

                John

                wrote:
> [...]

              • matchlesswdg3
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Dear Ed,

                  I have an H" section 24 cyl. 36 litre..sleeve valve 3500 bhp
                  supercharged air cooled engine in my Typhoon but I need to find 24
                  Lodge high performance aviation quality spark plugs, a very large
                  battery charger and a new insurance company as Footie James say they
                  don't do Typhoons after Tinley crashed the last one. Wot do you
                  suggest? Yours, Biggles.

                • gerard cooksley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008

                    I say old bean, I think your find there are two plugs per cylinder

                    Tally Ho