Original pannier bags

  • garys339
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hi,
      I was fortunate to pick up at a farm type autojumble at the weekend an
      original pair of pannier bags still attached to the their racks, the
      chap I bought them off said they had laid in the barn since the late
      forties after his father had removed them from a WD bike, that along
      with some other WD trucks he had bought from a WD ministry sale.
      My question is the only marks I can find is a red circle with 41 and
      AKD stamped inside the bags, do any body recognise this ? also the
      pannier racks are in black, would they have been fitted like this on
      all bikes during the war ?.
      As you can see from the pictures the bags are very dusty, but they are
      in unused condition internally.
      http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panbu2.jpg
      http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/807/pan1xv1.jpg
      http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7700/pan2ig0.jpg

      Regards
      Gary
    • john wright
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007
        Hi Gary
                    I had some bags in a similar condition and I had them dry cleaned and they came up like new.
        regards Jon

        garys339 <garys339@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Richard Purkiss
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007

          Gary
          You are still as jammy as ever. If you ever come accross a blackout lamp insert or whole lamp, let me know..
          I missed another chance to have one on the weekend by just 15 minutes..!!
          Richard

          To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
          From: garys339@...
          Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:26:34 +0000
          Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Original pannier bags

[...]

          Are you the Quizmaster? Play BrainBattle with a friend now!
        • A. R. Schmidt 02
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007
            I still have a spare one, not an insert, (thats repro!!) but an original, will bring it to Malvern 18th of October, also a Miller one.

            Cheers,

            Alex Schmidt

            To: wdmotorcycles@ yahoogroups. com
            From: garys339@hotmail. com
            Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:26:34 +0000

[...]

            __________ NOD32 2581 (20071009) Informatie __________

            Dit bericht is gecontroleerd door het NOD32 Antivirus Systeem.
            http://www.nod32.nl
          • A. R. Schmidt 02
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007
              Sorry I ment November!!!  also will bring some BSA M20 stuff.

              Alex

              To: wdmotorcycles@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
                Hi Chaps and Gary

                well done on getting Pannier bags !!
                Dont be tempted to wash bags using "aggresive " modern powders in a soak for instance. I did this overnight in a weak solution with a pair of bags that had been stored for over 40 years and all the olive dye came out leaving them almost white !!!  some of the stains came out...but at some cost !!
                Go easy on the cleaning !
                If the red stamp refers to 1941 they must be some of the first made in late 1941. The stamp may be an inspectors stamp.
                I have some original frames in black..probably how they left the factory..but should have be painted Green once they got near a bike !!
                Some bags have a date inside.
                I expect there were many suppliers of pannier bags which explains the minor variations of design.

                Yours are the light tan/ rounded flap with piping design,

                Regards

                Ed

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
                  Hi Group,

                  I have found a perfect solution for faded/washed out pannier bags, have had special canvas paint made to color, so the 2 tone appearance can be replicated, stains, and faded spots are gone for ever, and it waterproofs the bags too, the canvas absorbs the paint, and after drying, it's difficult too see anything has been painted, the drying however takes weeks!!

                  If there's enough demand, I can have more made up,(have to have a minimum of 5 litres mixed) and put it in 1 liter tins (can easily do 2 pairs with a litre) this would be 25 euro's a litre, for each color.

                  See picture for painted bag. (note I made the triangle of the "Y" straps a different color)

                  Alex Schmidt,

                  __________ NOD32 2582 (20071009) Informatie __________

                  Dit bericht is gecontroleerd door het NOD32 Antivirus Systeem.
                  http://www.nod32.nl
                • spitfirefilms
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 10, 2007
                    guys,
                    just to add some info....my original bags are tanish brown, but they
                    were darker at some point as I can see on the back side and they are
                    stamped

                    BROOKS
                    1944

                    on both inside flaps top right hand corner.

                    BeSt regArds,
                    Eric
                  • Beliossi Giulio
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Hi Ed
                      I am looking for one original khaky pannier bag,in good condition,to complete the lonely one I have :may be you know whre to find it ?
                      Thank you !
                      Cheers
                      Giulio

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Hi Guilio,

                        pannier bags are not easy to find...there are not many original ones around...plenty of frames...they dont rot..

                        E-bay is one source ,but then they will go for top money.

                        If i see any i will let you know.

                        Ciao

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 6, 2007
                          MANY THANKS !