Brass service plate information

  • matchlesswdg3
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      Just had some advice on how to decipher the markings on the brass
      service plate affixed to my '44 G3L. I am not getting too excited as I
      am not even sure the plate actually belongs to the motorcycle - its
      fixed to the toolbox and the latter is from an Ariel! However, it
      would be good to check out the details. It is marked with "27INF
      SEC51" on the top line and below that "78BP0022361435". I am told the
      top line means 27th Infantry and the year 1951 - which is when they
      were deployed to Korea. The bottom line is the bike's army reg number
      (78BP00) and the rest may be the DR's service number. Now then -
      anyone checked out these numbers - where to check the records, etc.??
      I recall that I got my lightweight L/R service card from the RLC
      archives. Advice?
    • Gerard Cooksley
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006

        That’s great. I have a brass plate on my 1941 G3L that I was at a loss to decipher. I’ll have a look at it later and see if it makes sense now.

        For information on your bike you should try the Museum of Army Transport, Fleminggate, Beverly on 01482 860445. I think it costs about £10 but that was a few years ago when I had my Landrover lightweight!

        My bike was Chris Orchards who wrote ‘British forces motorcycles 1925 to 1945’, it’s the one on the f ron t cover of the original book. Fortunately for me Chris had researched as much of the history of the bike as he could and it belonged to the Royal Artillery. Unfortunately the RA did not have any of its wartime history just the post war history.

        So try the museum in Beverly then try the regimental archivist for the arm it served with.

        Gérard

      • Edd
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          Hi All,

          I think you will find Beverley has closed down and all records dispersed for safe keeping.

          Ed Abbott

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            Hi Fergus
            I've found on my G3L that on the right hand side of the headstock that the
            post war army registration was stamped on there, so this might might be
            worth looking for also.
            Regards
            Gary

            >From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
            >To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Brass service plate information
            >Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:33:34 -0000
            >
            >Just had some advice on how to decipher the markings on the brass
            >service plate affixed to my '44 G3L. I am not getting too excited as I
            >am not even sure the plate actually belongs to the motorcycle - its
            >fixed to the toolbox and the latter is from an Ariel! However, it
            >would be good to check out the details. It is marked with "27INF
            >SEC51" on the top line and below that "78BP0022361435". I am told the
            >top line means 27th Infantry and the year 1951 - which is when they
            >were deployed to Korea. The bottom line is the bike's army reg number
            >(78BP00) and the rest may be the DR's service number. Now then -
            >anyone checked out these numbers - where to check the records, etc.??
            >I recall that I got my lightweight L/R service card from the RLC
            >archives. Advice?

            Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
            http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb
          • matchlesswdg3
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2006
              I must have a look at mine. Have you tried to search out the service
              record? It could still be in existence and give you the post-war
              history - ??

              --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "GARY SKINNER" <garys339@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2006
                Hi Fergus
                attached is a copy of the WD/MOD keycard that has my bike on it, it has on
                postwar registration number, wartime C number, where it was stored and when
                it was sold, I don't suppose your bike is on this page ? Alex Schmitt has
                these pages and he very kindly sent me this copy.
                Best Regards
                Gary

                >From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                >To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Brass service plate information
                >Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:26:27 -0000
                >
                >I must have a look at mine. Have you tried to search out the service
                >record? It could still be in existence and give you the post-war
                >history - ??
                >

                >--- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "GARY SKINNER" <garys339@...>
                >wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Fergus
                > > I've found on my G3L that on the right hand side of the headstock
                >that the
                > > post war army registration was stamped on there, so this might
                >might be
                > > worth looking for also.
                > > Regards
                > > Gary
                > >

                > > >From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                > > >To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                > > >Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Brass service plate information
                > > >Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:33:34 -0000
                > > >
                > > >Just had some advice on how to decipher the markings on the brass
                > > >service plate affixed to my '44 G3L. I am not getting too excited
                >as I
                > > >am not even sure the plate actually belongs to the motorcycle - its
                > > >fixed to the toolbox and the latter is from an Ariel! However, it
                > > >would be good to check out the details. It is marked with "27INF
                > > >SEC51" on the top line and below that "78BP0022361435". I am told
                >the
                > > >top line means 27th Infantry and the year 1951 - which is when they
                > > >were deployed to Korea. The bottom line is the bike's army reg
                >number
                > > >(78BP00) and the rest may be the DR's service number. Now then -
                > > >anyone checked out these numbers - where to check the records,
                >etc.??
                > > >I recall that I got my lightweight L/R service card from the RLC
                > > >archives. Advice?

                > > Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
                > > http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

                Windows Live� Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!
              • matchlesswdg3
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Gary,

                  I can't seem to find your photo. Can you email it to me?
                  fergus.anckorn@...

                  Much appreciated!

                  Ferg

                  wrote:

                  > Hi Fergus
                  > attached is a copy of the WD/MOD keycard that has my bike on it, it
                  has on
                  > postwar registration number, wartime C number, where it was stored
                  and when
                  > it was sold, I don't suppose your bike is on this page ? Alex
                  Schmitt has
                  > these pages and he very kindly sent me this copy.
                  > Best Regards
                  > Gary
                  >
                  > >From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                  > >To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Brass service plate information
                  > >Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:26:27 -0000
                  > >
                  > >I must have a look at mine. Have you tried to search out the
                  service
                  > >record? It could still be in existence and give you the post-war
                  > >history - ??
                  > >

                  > >--- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "GARY SKINNER" <garys339@>
                  > >wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Fergus
                  > > > I've found on my G3L that on the right hand side of the
                  headstock
                  > >that the
                  > > > post war army registration was stamped on there, so this might
                  > >might be
                  > > > worth looking for also.
                  > > > Regards
                  > > > Gary

                  > >as I
                  However, it
                  > >the
                  > >number
                  > >etc.??
                  RLC

                  > > > Download the new Windows Live Toolbar, including Desktop search!
                  > > > http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

                  > Windows Live™ Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for
                  free!
                  > http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb

                • matchlesswdg3
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 12, 2006
                    Gary,

                    Unfortunately, my G3L was not on that page of the key card - it would
                    have been very coincidental if it was, but it was useful to see the
                    information that it holds! So, CALLING ALEX - can you help i/d my
                    G3L from frame number and/or postwar army reg number??

                    --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "matchlesswdg3"