G3L dynamo chain

  • Gerard Cooksley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006

      Hello

      I’m having problems with the Dynamo chain on my 1941 G3L. I tensioned the chain but on turning the engine over the chain cycles between the correct tension of ¼ inch to about ½ inch. Is it possible for a chain to stretch in 1 place? The sprockets look good and the dynamo shaft does not look bent. I’ve not checked it with a DTI but I would imagine that I would be able to see this much run out by eye.

      I decided that the best course of action would be to change the chain anyway. The handbook and the REME EMER both state that the dynamo chain is 47 pitches and so this is what I ordered from the club spares scheme. However when I stripped off the old chain it was about 4 links longer. There is no way that I can get the 47 link chain on. Both the engine and the gearbox appear to be ex-WD so I can’t understand why it has a longer chain. Has anyone else seen this before or am I missing something (apart from some pitches).

      Gerard

    • Edd
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2006
        Gerard,

        I have played this game several times, on my G3L.

        Having substituted the crank and generator sprockets for new. changed the Dynamo itself because i thought the shaft was bent and tried a new chain i can say that it is impossible to get the elusive free play to be a constant 1/4 " or whatever. I set the chain by getting the chain the tightest it will go,, BUT with snag free rotation,,,,that is with the primary chain  removed,so that it is easy to get to.
        I can only assume that the quality of sprocket manufacture is not perfect.
        As regards chain length there are problems here also.I ordered a chain from Russells for a WD and it was wrong.
        They swore it was right, in the end i went to my local bearing shop and bought the right length and sorted it cheaply.
        I cant remember if it was to long or to short.

        I leave Harwich tonight for a trip to The Hurtgen forest Nr Aachen...not on my bike...so wont be about till next Monday in case you need any more info.

        Regards
        Ed Abbott