Battle Flag

  • Richard Purkiss
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
      Dear All
      Can anyone in the group translate a Jap battle flag ?
      It belongs to a veteran who got it in Burma and who would like to know
      what it says after having it 60 years !
      I can email a pic of it if anyone can help.
      Richard
    • Edd
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
        Dear All and Richard,

        a Japanese Nurse student,,a friend of my partner Christine you understand is
        back from Japan in 2 weeks,so thats one avenue that i will gladly help with,
        if you can wait.
        Anyone seen whats happening in St James,s park ref WW2 Anniversary ??
        I keep thinking i should go down to London and do a bit of WW2 despatch
        riding .

        Regards
        Ed
        > Can anyone in the group translate a Jap battle flag ?
        > It belongs to a veteran who got it in Burma and who would like to know
        > what it says after having it 60 years !
        > I can email a pic of it if anyone can help.
        > Richard
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • matchlesswdg3
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
          Ed,

          Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year? I
          will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
          Saturday.

          Ferg
        • Richard Purkiss
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
            Ferg
            I may be there sat & sun. But unfortunately not with the bike, as I am not
            going to pay �50 for the pleasure of driving 450 miles to get in with my
            insignifiant WM20 !
            Richard

            >From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
            >To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Battle Flag
            >Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:48:00 -0000
            >
            >Ed,
            >
            >Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year? I
            >will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
            >Saturday.
            >
            >Ferg

          • Edd
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
              To all and Ferg and Rob V. Meel.

              I hope to come to the show,as i have not missed one for 10 years,but i am
              in the process of moving home and restoring a house !!
              Anyway i hope you all have a great show and take several dust masks !!

              Regards Ed.
              > Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year? I
              > will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
              > Saturday.
              >
              > Ferg
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gerard Cooksley
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005

                I’m not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay £50 for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall holders. It’s a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to pay for your fuel to get there!

                Gerard

                > Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year?  I
                > will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
                > Saturday.
                >
                > Ferg
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Motorcycle restoration

                Automotive maintenance

                Motorcycle maintenance

                Motorcycle

                Automotive

              • A.R.Schmidt
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                  Hi All,

                  I'll be on the rideout to, on my '40 G3 with paneltank (could not takethe B4 outfit) and Jeff, on a 1942 G3L

                  Does anybody know what time it starts ???

                  Lex Schmidt

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                    Personally I've never paid anything to go there, as a IMPS member it's free !!!

                    Lex Schmidt
                    I’m not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay £50 for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall holders. It’s a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to pay for your fuel to get there!

                    Gerard

                    > Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year?  I
                    > will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
                    > Saturday.
                    >
                    > Ferg
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Motorcycle restoration

                    Automotive maintenance

                    Motorcycle maintenance

                    Motorcycle

                    Automotive

                  • SIMON DELANEY
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                      HIRob,
                      I'll be there tues/wednesday so I'll seek you out for a chat etc.

                      Simon Delaney

                      Rob van Meel <rvanmeel@...> wrote:

                      Hi,

                      I’ll be stalling out on A71, near the little footbridge to the rear of the arena. One of my friends should be bringing his WD-C RE for the ride-out, but I can’t fit my Triumph in woith my stall etc.

                      Rob

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 13, 2005
                        Someone making money? Wondered why Rex Cadman was such a fat b*****d
                        I wrote to him a couple of years ago when he put the price up and told him
                        what he could do with his show. I won't be exhibiting my bike there again.
                        Shame.
                        I will be there this year driving one of Barry Pococks collection of SAS
                        Pink Panthers. Cadman gives Barry a special rate, I believe.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Stuart Seale

                        From: "Gerard Cooksley" <g.cooksley@...>
                        To: <wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:17:10 +0100

                        ________________________________

                        > Are you (or anyone else here) coming to War and Peace this year? I
                        > will be on the rideout on Fiday morning and there from Thursday to
                        > Saturday.
                        >
                        > Ferg
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Motorcycle restoration
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Motorcycle+restoration&w1=Motorcycle+restoration&w2=Automotive+maintenance&w3=Motorcycle+maintenance&w4=Motorcycle&w5=Automotive&c=5&s=116&.sig=dsuEGTYcrv-pZQGH9GLmag>

                        Automotive maintenance
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Automotive+maintenance&w1=Motorcycle+restoration&w2=Automotive+maintenance&w3=Motorcycle+maintenance&w4=Motorcycle&w5=Automotive&c=5&s=116&.sig=3gETx9PyINxibCmlpy-_ow>

                        Motorcycle maintenance
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Motorcycle+maintenance&w1=Motorcycle+restoration&w2=Automotive+maintenance&w3=Motorcycle+maintenance&w4=Motorcycle&w5=Automotive&c=5&s=116&.sig=uwPjn_1kE4P4Nk8sMBCjLQ>

                        Motorcycle
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Motorcycle&w1=Motorcycle+restoration&w2=Automotive+maintenance&w3=Motorcycle+maintenance&w4=Motorcycle&w5=Automotive&c=5&s=116&.sig=y_OourrFOhdBj9XD4WT45Q>

                        Automotive
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Automotive&w1=Motorcycle+restoration&w2=Automotive+maintenance&w3=Motorcycle+maintenance&w4=Motorcycle&w5=Automotive&c=5&s=116&.sig=VNjNAm7hkXLgD8ZScY69pQ>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        ________________________________
                      • Rob van Meel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 14, 2005

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 18, 2005
                            Yes - I have heard others complain about this, but your £50 does buy
                            you a weeks camping and use of pretty good facilities. It is also
                            very well organised and run and I am not sure that it could be this
                            way without an entry fee for "exhibitors". I get the impression that
                            for most of the latter (a very significant group of people - we are
                            talking thousands of vehicles and people here - not just a few dozen
                            vehicles and thousands of public), this is an annual boys-toys
                            holiday with their mates and their £50 is pretty good value. I hope
                            the organisers DO make money, because (IMHO) it goes on year after
                            year being a fantastic event. And if you have not been before, you
                            ARE missing something. It is supported by most serious historic
                            military vehicle clubs and several museums. And Vera Lynn!

                            Ferg

                            --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Cooksley"
                            <g.cooksley@Q...> wrote:
                            > I'm not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay £50
                            for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also
                            charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall
                            holders. It's a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be
                            nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can
                            remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to
                            pay for your fuel to get there!

                            > Gerard
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            > ________________________________
                          • Richard Purkiss
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 18, 2005
                              Dont get me wrong - I love Beltring, and if I go it will be my 9th year in a
                              row. You cant beat the atmosphere, but maybe its got too big and lost the
                              personal touch for many exhibitors. After my last 5 hour journey to the
                              show, I get there at 9.30 and am told I cant go in till 6pm (as I'm only
                              there 2 full days, thats one day of exhibiting wasted straight away, not to
                              mention being able to set up camp to cook etc. and leaving my bike in the
                              'compound'), when I do get in there is nowhere suitable to camp as all the
                              clubs and cliques have roped off their personal spaces, so I end up being
                              directed to camp in the public camping area where there are no MV's. This
                              has increasingly become my experience, not like the early days (I appreciate
                              the health and safety issues that have to be adderssed these days). Maybe if
                              I give the show a rest for a year or so I may get the excitement back for
                              it.

                            • Gerard Cooksley
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 18, 2005
                                I also agree except someone was bounding around the figure of £50 not £25 for vehicular entry to the show. Either way its way to much.

                                Maybe the acronym IMPS stands for - Incita Money Prising Show

                                Gérard

                                From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                                To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:04:03 -0000

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 18, 2005
                                  Hi Guys.

                                  Beltring re the Angry.
                                  I have no axe to grind on this one or any relationship with a certain Mr
                                  Cadman.
                                  I will make the following observations.as some one who has organised public
                                  events and visited Beltring for the last 10 years.
                                  Prior to charging Beltring was on the road to overload to many people,
                                  vehicles etc This would have led to much dissatisfaction etc.
                                  charging brought numbers down ie Jeep no.s fell from a high of 450 down to
                                  about 290 last year as a barometer if you like.
                                  the money raised allowed investing in Expensive marquees for showcase
                                  events.We are talking £20k for some of these Marquees for a week.
                                  Public liability insurance is now a big hit.
                                  The portaloos would cost around £8000 during the event not to mention the
                                  shipped in water.
                                  Those bringing Heavy armour and Artillery will be paid for all transport
                                  costs ..etc etc.
                                  Beltring has to run as a business. Its future has been a close run thing
                                  due to site change of ownership and the ever increasing trading standards
                                  laws.
                                  I personally dont begruge £25 for a weeks camping with a big tent for 2
                                  adults and 3 children.but i know a lot of people including my friends who
                                  do, but it is strange that you still see them there...
                                  The organisers may be making a fortune, and the loos could be better, but
                                  the rest of the show makes up for it.

                                  Meanwhile Kemble. This years event had a £18,000 pounds yes, £18K lottery
                                  grant as part of the 60 th Anniverary year. failing that it could draw on
                                  MVT funds to subsidise the event, and probably did.
                                  As an MVT member i am pleased it was good funded by me as a member and
                                  taxpayer.
                                  Clearly it would not exist with out being subsidised. by my membership which
                                  is approaching £25 per annum !!

                                  Well thats my make on the issue. !!

                                  Ed Abbott

                                  > 3,000 vehicles at £25 per head = £75,000. Adult entry over the weekend is
                                  > £13 per head and I'm not sure how many thousands turn up. This is a mega
                                  > business now.
                                  > Good facilities? Come on. Those toilets have often been either covered
                                  in
                                  > mud, blocked or flooded out when I've been there. In increasing the
                                  entry
                                  > fee Cadman promised more shower blocks - where are they?
                                  > If you want to buy a loaf of bread in their "NAAFI" it costs you a quid.
                                  > Theft all round.
                                  > Compare the event with the rather excellent MVT show at Kemble. You are
                                  > welcomed. The loos, albeit portaloos are always of a very high standard.
                                  > The entertainment is good. AND it costs nothing to exhibit.
                                  > Best Wishes,
                                  > Stuart
                                  >
                                  > From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                                  > To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Battle Flag
                                  > Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:04:03 -0000
                                  >
                                  > Yes - I have heard others complain about this, but your £50 does buy
                                  > you a weeks camping and use of pretty good facilities. It is also
                                  > very well organised and run and I am not sure that it could be this
                                  > way without an entry fee for "exhibitors". I get the impression that
                                  > for most of the latter (a very significant group of people - we are
                                  > talking thousands of vehicles and people here - not just a few dozen
                                  > vehicles and thousands of public), this is an annual boys-toys
                                  > holiday with their mates and their £50 is pretty good value. I hope
                                  > the organisers DO make money, because (IMHO) it goes on year after
                                  > year being a fantastic event. And if you have not been before, you
                                  > ARE missing something. It is supported by most serious historic
                                  > military vehicle clubs and several museums. And Vera Lynn!
                                  >
                                  > Ferg
                                  >
                                  > --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Cooksley"
                                  > <g.cooksley@Q...> wrote:
                                  > > I'm not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay £50
                                  > for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also
                                  > charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall
                                  > holders. It's a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be
                                  > nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can
                                  > remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to
                                  > pay for your fuel to get there!
                                  > >

                                  > > Gerard
                                  > >

                                  > > ________________________________

                                • STUART SEALE
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 18, 2005
                                    Just to pick up on a point. You say that "Those bringing Heavy armour and
                                    Artillery will be paid for all transport costs ..etc etc.". That doesn't
                                    square well with what one of our group was told about his M110 Self
                                    Propelled Gun which he's transporting up at his own cost on his Scammell
                                    Crusader outfit. The most he says he can expect is some diesel to get
                                    around the arena.
                                    Which Kemble show are we talking about for the lottery grant? I was
                                    referring to the annual show, not the 60th Anniversary bash.
                                    Anyway, must go and get some kip. We're away by 4am bound for Kent. Just
                                    hope it doesn't rain - no roof - no windscreen.
                                    Best Regards,
                                    Stuart Seale
                                    MVT Member

                                    > 3,000 vehicles at �25 per head = �75,000. Adult entry over the weekend
                                    is
                                    > �13 per head and I'm not sure how many thousands turn up. This is a mega
                                    > business now.
                                    > Good facilities? Come on. Those toilets have often been either covered
                                    in
                                    > mud, blocked or flooded out when I've been there. In increasing the
                                    entry
                                    > fee Cadman promised more shower blocks - where are they?
                                    > If you want to buy a loaf of bread in their "NAAFI" it costs you a quid.
                                    > Theft all round.
                                    > Compare the event with the rather excellent MVT show at Kemble. You are
                                    > welcomed. The loos, albeit portaloos are always of a very high standard.
                                    > The entertainment is good. AND it costs nothing to exhibit.
                                    > Best Wishes,
                                    > Stuart
                                    >
                                    > From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                                    > To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Battle Flag
                                    > Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:04:03 -0000
                                    >
                                    > Yes - I have heard others complain about this, but your �50 does buy
                                    > you a weeks camping and use of pretty good facilities. It is also
                                    > very well organised and run and I am not sure that it could be this
                                    > way without an entry fee for "exhibitors". I get the impression that
                                    > for most of the latter (a very significant group of people - we are
                                    > talking thousands of vehicles and people here - not just a few dozen
                                    > vehicles and thousands of public), this is an annual boys-toys
                                    > holiday with their mates and their �50 is pretty good value. I hope
                                    > the organisers DO make money, because (IMHO) it goes on year after
                                    > year being a fantastic event. And if you have not been before, you
                                    > ARE missing something. It is supported by most serious historic
                                    > military vehicle clubs and several museums. And Vera Lynn!
                                    >
                                    > Ferg
                                    >
                                    > --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Cooksley"
                                    > <g.cooksley@Q...> wrote:
                                    > > I'm not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay �50
                                    > for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also
                                    > charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall
                                    > holders. It's a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be
                                    > nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can
                                    > remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to
                                    > pay for your fuel to get there!
                                    > >

                                    > > Gerard
                                    > >

                                    > > ________________________________

                                  • Richard Purkiss
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 19, 2005
                                      They charge me �25 for my bike on a trailer, and �25 for my car towing it.
                                      A little unfair I think (and I would have to keep the car in the 'civi'
                                      compound).
                                      Someone said they hope it does not rain.... I have never seen rain at
                                      Beltring for 8 years (except one small shower), I dread to think what the
                                      site would look like if it had any significant downfall !!
                                      Richard
                                    • Gerard Cooksley
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 19, 2005
                                        You'd probably get charged more for the swimming pool.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 26, 2005
                                          It must be a very good money maker, but I still go anyway !

                                          Have heard there were 90.000 paid visitors, times 13 quid or so, anyway an
                                          astounding amount of money comes in there !
                                          We didn't call it "The War and Greed Show" for nothing !

                                          Lex Schmidt

                                          > 3,000 vehicles at £25 per head = £75,000. Adult entry over the weekend is
                                          > £13 per head and I'm not sure how many thousands turn up. This is a mega
                                          > business now.
                                          > Good facilities? Come on. Those toilets have often been either covered
                                          in
                                          > mud, blocked or flooded out when I've been there. In increasing the
                                          entry
                                          > fee Cadman promised more shower blocks - where are they?
                                          > If you want to buy a loaf of bread in their "NAAFI" it costs you a quid.
                                          > Theft all round.
                                          > Compare the event with the rather excellent MVT show at Kemble. You are
                                          > welcomed. The loos, albeit portaloos are always of a very high standard.
                                          > The entertainment is good. AND it costs nothing to exhibit.
                                          > Best Wishes,
                                          > Stuart
                                          >
                                          > From: "matchlesswdg3" <fergus.anckorn@...>
                                          > To: wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Subject: [wdmotorcycles] Re: Battle Flag
                                          > Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:04:03 -0000
                                          >
                                          > Yes - I have heard others complain about this, but your £50 does buy
                                          > you a weeks camping and use of pretty good facilities. It is also
                                          > very well organised and run and I am not sure that it could be this
                                          > way without an entry fee for "exhibitors". I get the impression that
                                          > for most of the latter (a very significant group of people - we are
                                          > talking thousands of vehicles and people here - not just a few dozen
                                          > vehicles and thousands of public), this is an annual boys-toys
                                          > holiday with their mates and their £50 is pretty good value. I hope
                                          > the organisers DO make money, because (IMHO) it goes on year after
                                          > year being a fantastic event. And if you have not been before, you
                                          > ARE missing something. It is supported by most serious historic
                                          > military vehicle clubs and several museums. And Vera Lynn!
                                          >
                                          > Ferg
                                          >
                                          > --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard Cooksley"
                                          > <g.cooksley@Q...> wrote:
                                          > > I'm not going out of principal. I fail to see why I should pay £50
                                          > for the privilege of exhibiting my vehicle while the organisers also
                                          > charge the public to come and have a look at it as well as the stall
                                          > holders. It's a right cheek, without the vehicles the show would be
                                          > nothing. Someone must be making a lot of money from this show. I can
                                          > remember when I first started going to MV shows, some shows used to
                                          > pay for your fuel to get there!
                                          > >

                                          > > Gerard
                                          > >

                                          > > ________________________________

                                        • Edd
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                            To Richard Purkiss and all,

                                            I have had your Japanese battle flag translated.
                                            The 4 Japanese words put together basically say;;;

                                            "good luck in the fortune of the war we have the will to win " Sato Kazno
                                            ( somebodys name )

                                            so there you have it .I am sure your Veteran will be interested.
                                            I am glad it was not foul or obusive as the translater was a sweet 18 year
                                            old female nurse !!

                                            Regards Ed Abbott
                                            > Can anyone in the group translate a Jap battle flag ?
                                            > It belongs to a veteran who got it in Burma and who would like to know
                                            > what it says after having it 60 years !
                                            > I can email a pic of it if anyone can help.
                                            > Richard
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Richard Purkiss
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 3, 2005
                                              Thanks Edd
                                              I will see the veteran at the monthly comrades meeting on Monday, he will be
                                              chuffed to know what the flag says after 60 years of having it.
                                              Richard