Unusual contract number

  • jimbsteedau
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2013
      Ever since I obtained my 1941 Matchless G3L I have wondered about the unusual contract number on the petrol tank. It just has 8 numbers rather than the more usual "C" prefix followed by 7 numbers.

      I have made previous inquiries, and concluded that the 8 digit number was the figment of a previous owner's imagination. But recently I obtained a publication which has on the cover page a line drawing of a similar Matchless, with an 8 digit numeric contract number like mine. A scan of this cover page is now in this Group's files section (BMS_SERVICE_Series.jpg, http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ZA_-Uf5soRHkQ4TOE1L1C3FtG6FiLe8QPQ_U-4eI3i39AI5YAzb3EWHeUv2dhqyYBqX-AYO0xKp4HSxCF8StlpaI8deX_BeBO-A/BMS_Service_Series.jpg).

      It is a 1950s publication, so I wonder if the 8 numbers only on the tank refer to some Post WW2 system, particularly as other emblems on the tank infer post WW2 usage (you can read more about this on my web page - see below).

      I love the bike anyway, but if this clue adds to my knowledge of it I would be very happy to hear about it.

      Thanks

      Jim
      Australia
      http://jims-shed.browserbubbles.com/
    • Alex Schmidt 01
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2013
        Hello Jim,

        Just a quick note, I understand that the Australian Army used their owm number series, but cannot recall where I’ve seen this now, possibly on the WD bike forum?

        If you let me have your frame and engine number, I can maybe look something up.

        Btw, the C number on the tank is not a contract number, that is stamped on a brass or steel plate rivetted to the toolbox.

        The C number is a “Census” number, or registration number, like a modern car/bike has a number plate.

        Hope this helps,

        Lex Schmidt