WD Matchless 39-G3WO / 40-G3WO / G3L

  • Simon Warner
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2010
      Good morning to all,
      I have recently joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Kent (UK) and have a couple of G3WO projects on the go. I also make a small selection of parts for these bikes (usually limited batches of those parts that I can't find for my restorations). I am currently collating the parts lists for the three WW2 models supplied by the Matchless works; 39-G3WO / 40-G3WO / G3L. I am still searching for copies of the spares lists for contracts C3360 / 3398 (39-G3WO), C4608 (40-G3WO), and S4555 (G3L). If anyone has access to either of these lists I would very much like to include them in this research work. The idea is to plot the evolution of the WD models in as much detail as possible... you may have noticed that most books gloss over the wartime period and provide little real detail. I am also interested in buying / swapping any WD Matchless parts and have a growing resource of WD Matchless photos etc which is available to anyone who asks. I am especially interested in seeing copies of Matchless photos which were taken during active service / war years.
      Cheers
      Simon
    • matchlesswdg3
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2010
        Simon,

        The message board has been quiet for a while - it usually winds down in the "off" season. However, at the weekend I was talking to a couple of people who are building panel tank G3s at present and a lot of interest in this model - I can put you in touch. I also live in Kent - Ashford. I run a WDG3L - maybe we can meet up? Another good place to meet the group is at the Kempton jumble - next one coming up at end of January. email me on fergus.anckorn@... Ferg

        --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, Simon Warner <smwarner@...> wrote:

        > Good morning to all,
        > I have recently joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Kent (UK) and have a couple of G3WO projects on the go. I also make a small selection of parts for these bikes (usually limited batches of those parts that I can't find for my restorations). I am currently collating the parts lists for the three WW2 models supplied by the Matchless works; 39-G3WO / 40-G3WO / G3L. I am still searching for copies of the spares lists for contracts C3360 / 3398 (39-G3WO), C4608 (40-G3WO), and S4555 (G3L). If anyone has access to either of these lists I would very much like to include them in this research work. The idea is to plot the evolution of the WD models in as much detail as possible... you may have noticed that most books gloss over the wartime period and provide little real detail. I am also interested in buying / swapping any WD Matchless parts and have a growing resource of WD Matchless photos etc which is available to anyone who asks. I am especially interested in seeing copies of Matchless photos which were taken during active service / war years.
        > Cheers
        > Simon

      • Simon Warner
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2010
          Hi Ferg,
           I often get to Kempton but I will be away working for the Jan sale. I've just started my rebuild in earnest and it would be good to get in touch with others who are doing the same. Mutual aid is the way to go! I work very odd hours and so am often around at odd times of day... we have an excellent pub in the village (Bossingham) so that is an obvious venue. Do you know John Tinley? We are looking to have a major get-together of WD Matchless machines some time in 2011 to celebrate 70 years since the G3WO/G3L changeover.
          Cheers
          Simon
          On 16 Dec 2010, at 17:05, matchlesswdg3 wrote:

          Simon,

          The message board has been quiet for a while - it usually winds down in the "off" season. However, at the weekend I was talking to a couple of people who are building panel tank G3s at present and a lot of interest in this model - I can put you in touch. I also live in Kent - Ashford. I run a WDG3L - maybe we can meet up? Another good place to meet the group is at the Kempton jumble - next one coming up at end of January. email me on fergus.anckorn@... Ferg

          --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, Simon Warner <smwarner@...> wrote:

          > Good morning to all,
          > I have recently joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Kent (UK) and have a couple of G3WO projects on the go. I also make a small selection of parts for these bikes (usually limited batches of those parts that I can't find for my restorations). I am currently collating the parts lists for the three WW2 models supplied by the Matchless works; 39-G3WO / 40-G3WO / G3L. I am still searching for copies of the spares lists for contracts C3360 / 3398 (39-G3WO), C4608 (40-G3WO), and S4555 (G3L). If anyone has access to either of these lists I would very much like to include them in this research work. The idea is to plot the evolution of the WD models in as much detail as possible... you may have noticed that most books gloss over the wartime period and provide little real detail. I am also interested in buying / swapping any WD Matchless parts and have a growing resource of WD Matchless photos etc which is available to anyone who asks. I am especially interested in seeing copies of Matchless photos which were taken during active service / war years.
          > Cheers
          > Simon

        • matchlesswdg3
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2010
            Simon,

            I see you are not so far away from Ashford. It would be good to meet up some time. Yes, I know John - my Matchless wears one of his front wheels! Also Peter Brown on this site is doing up a panel tank G3 - one of a pair - Peter is doing one and John the other! Peter was saying that his is pretty near complete as it came and he is hoping to get it on the road this summer. We were talking about the next "NOBS" event - likely Normandy in June again, but interested to hear about any special Matchless events, for sure. Keep in touch. Ferg